Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine is hyperventilating me!
Machine is hyperventilating me!
So, I go to bed tonight, and I notice immediately that the machine is trying to "breathe" me much faster than I can keep up with. Its set to "ST", and 15/8 psi at a rate of 12. I tried setting it to ramp (minutes), but that didn't seem to help much (she had told me to leave it off for some reason). I turned both it and the other ramp function on though (I can't think of the other ramp setting name, but the choices were on, off, or cancel, and the first ramp function was in minutes), and I set the back up rate to 9, and that seemed to be a little easier to breathe with, but I did wake up about 1.5 hours later.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine is hyperventilating me!
9 should be ok for now, you will get a breath every 6.6 seconds if you stop breathing. I don't know what PS:7 will do on a central for you, but a zoom in on the tidal volume and flow chart will give a clue.
what model ST-A did they provide?
Is there any reason they set it as ST and not iVAPS?
It will be good to get some charts up.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm almost ready to give up, but I'm going to try that ivaps setting before I go back to CPAP for the night. This feels like its choking me.
Post Reply Post Reply
It all depends on the setting they gave you. If you are having trouble getting use to 15/8 and BBR 9. I wouldn't turn ivaps on yet. It will probably give higher pressure. you also have to input the right numbers. I wouldn't do it tonight, you will need to read up on it.

what do you mean by choking you?
there are Ti, rise time and trigger settings

if you can post all the setting numbers, there might be something that stands out.

or you could switch to cpap and ring them tomorrow.
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, before I had a chance to read this, I went ahead and switched it to ivaps. The only thing I changed was what looked like a target respiratory rate setting, from 15 to 12 (don't have the machine in front of me). I actually slept for a couple hours straight. I'm going to go back to bed for a couple hours, and when I wake up, ill post all the settings. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you haven't done so already, I would get the clinical manual for it from the top of the page. Is it the ResMed 'AirCurve 10' ST-A?
There are a couple of ways of setting up s9 ivaps, entering set values, which will auto set some others and/or learn values. I would expect the 10 is the same.
It's not really plug and play, it has to be set up. Do you have the full script that the doctor wrote, or can you get a copy from the DME?

If not you and the forum can go through the list and set what you can. You can titrate it as you go and you may find the titration guide on the s9 a help, it covers quite a bit on ivaps.
https://www.scribd.com/document/35340282...-Titration
Post Reply Post Reply
For someone with central apnea, the ST is not an ideal choice because it imposes a constant pressure support and timing on every breath. This will feel like hyperventilation and actually makes the CA worse, making you reliant on the backup function. Compare to ASV which can offer a pressure support from 0 to 15 cm, as needed, when needed. Joseph, you will need to give this a chance, but start the conversation asking why not ASV with your medical team. If you do not tolerate ST, that is where you will end up...finally
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I had mentioned ASV, but the therapist said I needed to try the machine that was actually prescribed (resmed aircurve 10 ST-A) first. Yes, it felt like it was forcing me to breathe before I was ready to, a very unpleasant sensation. Here are the settings: IPAP 15, epap 8, iBR off, backup rate 12 (I dialed it back to 9, but that didn't help much),Timax 2.7s, Ti min 0.3s, rise time min, trigger medium, cycle medium, I set the ramp settings from off, to ramp time 30 min, ramp down on, start epap 5.0, all alarms off except alarm vol test medium, essentials plus, confirm stop and smartstart off, desat rule 3%. I will try to get my script.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just called the VA. Tech says I have to "practice". I told her "believe me, no amount of practice is going to make this work". She basically blew me off, told me if I tried it for a while and it didn't work, I'd have to talk with a doctor. Useless.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you re-post your titration study? I am unable to find it, but my recollection is, your best results were on ST, but still not clinically acceptable. What I'd like to do is construct an argument for ASV on the basis of your titration findings and current experience with the ST.

Are you getting any AHI stats on the screen or in software for the ST?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,243 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 1,097 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Is this what hyperventilating looks like? Phil487 1 392 08-21-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad Hyperventilating during sleep with cpap on. Please advise? MrsGrohl 4 749 11-02-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: MrsGrohl
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,890 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,354 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rapid Breathing and hyperventilating Judy1843 5 3,420 12-31-2018, 01:20 AM
Last Post: CB91710

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.