Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine is hyperventilating me!
RE: Machine is hyperventilating me!
I was never able to get my hands on the titration study. I'll have to get a copy of it tomorrow. I'm going down to the VA to talk to a doctor. I told them "I cannot breathe with the way the machine is set up", so they agreed to see me tomorrow. I don't have any stats with the machine on ST because I was unable to make it work for me on that setting, so i changed it to ivaps. I tried my best to keep up with the machine, but i kept falling behind and the machine would "overtake" me, and literally gave me a strangling sensation. I think the most I was able to last was about 5 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before your appointment, you need to read about the ST-A IVAPS and ASV in the Resmed Titration Guide pp 27-40. https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf

What you should immediately notice is that ASV is for central apnea, and IVAPS is for respiratory disease. You have always had good tidal volume and minute vent, and you don't suffer from any of the diseases and symptoms IVAPS is suitable to treat. Your problem is central and complex apnea. Unless contraindicated by a cardiac condition, ASV is the correct choice. Read and learn this material as it is the basis of your argument you are being treated contrary to published guidelines.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ill read that, thanks! These, doctors (I'm going to refrain from saying what I want to call them) put you in a position where you have to garner some expertise in your illness because some are incredibly ignorant, but then they treat you with scorn because you're "playing doctor", even though you're going through contortions in order to tiptoe around their fragile egos.This gets exhausting. I've had to fight battles like this for years, sometimes many months at a time, needlessly suffering the whole time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm finishing a post-baccalaureate pre-med certificate, and starting med school in the fall. My concentration was biochemistry, and I took extra courses like pharmacology, toxicology, physical chemistry, and genomics in the hope of impressing med school entrance boards. I was also a navy hospital corpsman for 15 years, and a paramedic, so I know just enough about medicine to really get on doctors' nerves. I have to tread carefully and play dumb much of the time.
I just find it mind-blowing that these doctors don't make it their business to know these things, and to be up to date in their field. Its almost surreal to have to wrestle with them to get them to do their jobs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know you're working on a degree and it's got to be a huge handicap to be unable to sleep restfully. This functional impairment imposed by your sub-par therapy is inexcusable. Be assured that once you have the right equipment (ASV), this all goes away pretty quickly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2017, 01:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I know you're working on a degree and it's got to be a huge handicap to be unable to sleep restfully.  This functional impairment imposed by your sub-par therapy is inexcusable.  Be assured that once you have the right equipment (ASV), this all goes away pretty quickly.

It is a handicap.  In fact, it's so bad that I have to video record my lectures and watch them over and over again, because I'm almost completely incapable of following along during class.  Now that you mention it, I should make a point of mentioning that to the doctor. If anyone would be able to empathize about these classes, you'd think it would be him.
Meanwhile, I was hoping you could help set me up for the night.  This machine has at least a half-dozen different major settings (ST, CPAP, iVAPS, etc..).
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a few contraindication that stop the use of ASV. There must have been a reason they chose the more expensive ivaps over ASV. It is unlikely the lab and doctors made a mistake, but it does happen. As I said it is something you are going to need to talk to the doctors about.

When you had an AHI of 3.3 and no UA on your first night, that was very rough with settings. it's hard to say it's not working

"Making it Simpler CPAP/BPAP airway - A/i VAPS lung (hypercapnic) - ASV brain (normo/hypocapnic)"

a 101 power point slides
http://www.nepolysomnographic.com/upload...0video.pdf

iVAPS
 COPD - hyperinflation
 OHS (obese)
 Neuromuscular Disorders
 Restrictive Diseases

ASV
 CSA
 Complex SA
 Mixed apnea
 Periodic breathing

Quick Takeaways
 AVAPS targets TV
 iVAPS targets VA
 AVAPS AE has auto-EPAP
 i/AVAPS - underachievers
 ASV – overachievers
 ASV Auto – tracks (minute) ventilation
 BiPAP AutoSV – tracks peak flow
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I have complex sleep apnea (primarily central, possibly aggravated by long-term opioid treatment), no pulmonary diseases nor contraindications to ASV treatment. This machine (ResMed Aircurve 10 ST-A) retails for $1000 less than the ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV, so I suspect they may be trying to save money.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, I didn't spend the night with the machine set to ST; I was unable to tolerate it for more than a couple minutes at a time, so I switched to iVAPS, so my AHI wasn't indicative of my response to ST treatment (which is what they set it to).
Post Reply Post Reply
here in australia the st and st-a are both dearer than the asv, pricing is funny. If you don't have any excluding issues, the ASV should be the choice for complex apnea. I haven't seen any articles saying otherwise on the net. It's going to be a matter of talking to your doctor.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 902 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,166 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is this what hyperventilating looks like? Phil487 1 376 08-21-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad Hyperventilating during sleep with cpap on. Please advise? MrsGrohl 4 718 11-02-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: MrsGrohl
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,792 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rapid Breathing and hyperventilating Judy1843 5 3,363 12-31-2018, 01:20 AM
Last Post: CB91710

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.