Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine keeps immediately increasing pressure at start due to clearing throat.
Machine keeps immediately increasing pressure at start due to clearing throat.
This happened on my APAP and now on my BIPAP. When I first turn on my machine, lay down, I always find myself swallowing a few times to try and clear my throat at night. It always feels like something in my throat when first laying down.

I noticed my machine immediately starts raising the pressure rapidly. I think it mistakes the swallowing with OA's. So I turn off the machine and back on to reset the pressure back to my starting pressures.

Is there any way to stop this crazy increase in pressure from the start when I don't need it? 

IF I turn on the ramp feature for a few minutes would that stop it from increasing at the start?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine keeps immediately increasing pressure at start due to clearing throat.
I'd think the Ramp does limit pressure to whatever setting the Ramp feature is set up to do. There should be time and pressure settings for Ramp.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine keeps immediately increasing pressure at start due to clearing throat.
Yes, I believe using the ramp function will prevent the pressure from rising due to your throat clearing actions. If you do use the ramp I would suggest setting a reasonable start pressure or it will default to starting at 4 cm which may be too low and make you feel like you are not getting enough air.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was experiencing something similar. So what I do now is to put on my mask (with the machine turned off), then I slip the mask off my nose, do my swallows and clearing and such, and then put my mask on for good and start the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming your sidebar info is accurate, you're already starting at 5. 4 is the lowest possible setting. Just pointing that out.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you post a chart that's at 100%. I tried to find one but the ones I found were all zoomed in. I have the same thing going on and What was causing mine is flow limitations when I first lay down. I've been slowly dropping the maximum pressure down to cap the pressure.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My machine will sometimes flag a snore if I clear my throat or cough. I’m wondering if that is what is happening.

If a machine flags or senses a snore (real or not), it will attemp to raise the pressure. You would be able to see this on your SH graphs. You may not see Apnea events at the time you are describing, but you may see snores or flow limitations which would cause the pressure to rise.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2018, 05:06 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Can you post a chart that's at 100%. I tried to find one but the ones I found were all zoomed in. I have the same thing going on and What was causing mine is flow limitations when I first lay down. I've been slowly dropping the maximum pressure down to cap the pressure.

I'm getting closer to an answer for my nightly issues. Most nights do great since switching to BIPAP. Only thing has been major leaks. I tried Remzzz's mask liners, and they didn't help with leaks. Tonight I repositioned and tightened mask a bit more, and fixed my leaks. But...what look like CA's now showed up, at high IPAP.

On this chart, I turned off my machine since i felt it increasing pressure after clearing throat. Turned it on, and as you see, the pressure immediately increased again, causing what "look like" CA's. 

I woke up at 1:30am and still up tonight, since I didn't feel good. I felt very anxious/jittery. This feeling usually happens when I don't have leaks! If I have leaks, I can sleep so much better! It is very odd!

[Image: kYAkIsi.png]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
What I did was start lowering the maximum pressure to keep the pressure from running away. The same thing happens to me at the beginning of the night due to flow limitations. I was hoping to see your flow limitation chart to see if the same thing is happening to you. I'm guessing it is. You might try dropping your maximum pressure down 1cm at a time to at least limit the pressure increase. If you start getting increased obstructive events than you know you've dropped it too far.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you look at where the green time indicator line it on the graph, it aligns with your minimum pressure through the night at 8.43/5.43 cm. While a minimum pressure of 5 appears to be somewhat functional, I think your minimum EPAP should be 6.0. Allowing for the machine to increase pressure as needed, I estimate your maximum pressure should be 12.0, and beyond that you appear to be uncomfortable and have some CA events. Your results are quite good, but you can afford to narrow the pressure range.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 426 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Machine Increases Pressure Without Input JeffNC 7 398 01-30-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,281 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,643 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,173 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.