Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my leak rate okay or shouild I tighten things up
Is my leak rate okay or shouild I tighten things up
attached is a typical nights stats, as you can see the large leak stat resides around 20ish percent but some nights its about 0.5-2 percent, is 20 large leak worrisome? thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my leak rate okay or shouild I tighten things up
Your leak rate is to high but overtightening is more often a problem then the opposite.  Here is a link that might help.  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

But I also see your flow limits are a problem.  Flow limits are apnea just the same as obstructive and hypopneas.  they are just smaller in obstruction and are not timed.  We treat these with EPR (exhale pressure relief) but to use the EPR your min number must be high enough to allow EPR to work. So I would suggest the following numbers.

min 8
EPR 3

Give those a try tonight and post tomorrow telling us how you feel with the new setting.  of course put in the nights oscar charts.  I hope you can get a handle on the leaks and these new settings will help you sleep.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2021, 08:26 AM)staceyburke Wrote: Your leak rate is to high but overtightening is more often a problem then the opposite.  Here is a link that might help.  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

But I also see your flow limits are a problem.  Flow limits are apnea just the same as obstructive and hypopneas.  they are just smaller in obstruction and are not timed.  We treat these with EPR (exhale pressure relief) but to use the EPR your min number must be high enough to allow EPR to work. So I would suggest the following numbers.

min 8
EPR 3

Give those a try tonight and post tomorrow telling us how you feel with the new setting.  of course put in the nights oscar charts.  I hope you can get a handle on the leaks and these new settings will help you sleep.
Yeah I changed to those settings and my idiot self forgot to put the sd card back in, but my air reporter insane leakage up to 64 l/min with those settings
Post Reply Post Reply
It's almost always something with the mask when there's high leaks. It could be adjusting too tight that distorts or crushes the cushion, wrong sized, otherwise wrong fit. Sometimes it could be mouth leaks as well. If it leaks with higher pressure then it's still upon the mask fit to handle the pressure. 5.4 increased to 8 on the min side wouldn't be likely the reason for leaks to increase.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 35 5 hours ago
Last Post: PappaJoe
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 338 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 326 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 932 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,254 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 59 1,286 04-01-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 12 361 03-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.