Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine on the way - but catch 22
Machine on the way - but catch 22
I am a long time diagnosed apnea patient and have been off and on therapy for years.  I have a new machine coming to get back on track, again.  As I am waiting on the machine, I have been revisiting my past successes and failures with C-pap, Bi-Pap and UP3 surgery.  My health has changed since my last machine and I currently take insulin 4x day and BP medicines.  My GP tells me to drink plenty of water for diabetes but he also has me on HCTZ (water pill) for BP.  My question or request for advise is how does one cope with PAP therapy when you have to get up every two hours to empty your bladder.  Also I have a sleep number bed that has programable TV position time that will auto transition into sleep position per set timer.  Has anyone experimented with this type bed/positions/hoses?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine on the way - but catch 22
T2? I would sort the diabetes out, you may find low carb may keep your BG more stable. If you are high, you will be peeing. For some reason, apnea also makes you pee.
diabetesdaily isn't a bad diabetic forum

Getting up, some take the mask off, some just unplug the hose. cpap is like giving up smoking, when you are ready, you will do it. You will also find you may not need to pee as often.
Diabetesdaily isn't a bad diabetic forum.

download oscar from the top of the page, to post your chart for opinions.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm on HCTZ also. Before getting my CPAP therapy optimized with the help of forum members I was up at least 4 times a night. With my apnea controlled it's only once, sometimes twice. You may have the same experience. Even if you have to get up several times your better off with the therapy than without. I believe your machine has smart start. If you eneable that the machine will automatically shut off about 10 sec after you remove the mask and will automatically restart when you put the mask on and it detects your breathing.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good advise, thanks for the input.  I am currently stable with my Diabetes and also getting up 4x a night for releif.  I am hoping that is greatly reduced.  If not a talk with my GP about any alternative to HCTZ might be in the near future.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not diabetic, so can’t advise there, but I also take BP meds, thyroid pills, and a water pill.

The secret to not having to get up at night or at least cut down on that is to take the BP meds and water pills early in the day. Also, stop drinking liquids a few hours before bed.

I drink a lot of water too, but try to cut that off early evening.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When do you take your HCTZ? I'm on that as well but take it in the morning and don't really ever have to get up overnight. If you are taking it at night I would ask the doctor about switching to morning after you get up.
Post Reply Post Reply
My morning routine: Take thyroid pill first thing in am with at least 8 oz water.
After about an hour or two, I take the BP pills and the water pill.

I plan any trips on where a bathroom is. Big Grin

The point is, take these meds early in the day, this way by mid afternoon you don’t feel the need to use the bathroom so much. Of course, I no longer work, so it’s easier for me.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I take the HCTZ early in the morning but I do drink like a camel.  I will definitely be experimenting on cutting back the fluid intake in the afternoon.

thanks again to everyone for the replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been taking Tamsulosin now for a few months. Prior to taking it, I was getting up anywhere from 7-8 times a night to go to the bathroom. 

I'm now down to 3-4 times a night. I'm hoping that I can get it even lower with continued use.
Post Reply Post Reply
This might sound gross to some people, but just fine to those desperate to avoid so many bathroom trips. One solution for guys is to have a male portable urinal (pee bottle) by the bed. You don't even have to take off your mask or disconnect from your machine. Heck, you don't even have to wake up all the way. If they work for patients in a hospital, why not at home?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,256 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,891 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,355 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,810 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Catch 22 Bagel 15 5,136 04-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Bagel
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,301 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [CPAP] A catch up post..having been around much djjwilly 1 1,919 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.