Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine or operator adjustment?
RE: Machine or operator adjustment?
Quote: Wow comatose, you make me feel like a piker.

Nah, your probably not as silly as me

Quote: You might try a thicker or several pillows when or if you try sleeping on your side. I would think that a thin pillow would be very hard on your neck when sleeping on your side.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

This may sound counter productive to the current topic but thicker pillows kill my neck when sleeping on my back !

Can anyone hear the word BINGO Thanks

But if I can't move my head tomorrow your in strife fella, lol

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2014, 07:44 PM)comatose Wrote: Vaughn, Peter and zonk, regarding the sleeping on my back, I also have neck and shoulder problems, about 20 yrs ago I had a steel beam land on my head as 4 of us were taking it off a roof rack, 2 blokes took one end and me and a work mate took the other, as the beam came off the roof rack my work mates feet slipped out from under him and I ended up with the beam on my noggin with the work mate still dangling from the beam, the old neck was never the same.
I also got a leg removed when I was 17, the leg has a strap that goes over a shoulder and that antagonizes things.
I do sleep on my sides and roll around a bit but always end up on my back because of neck pain or discomfort, I use a very thin pillow also.
You all have definitely seeded my mind to work out what I can to rectify this problem, thank you all.

I can seriously feel what you're talking about. Left knee, right shoulder, right hip (replaced, rebuilt, replaced) and the right knee is next on the list, plus low back pain after jumping off a dock and landing badly while dodging a sliding forklift.

I find a sleep-number bed, plus a mix of soft and hard pillows works pretty well for me most nights. Soft pillow behind the low back, hard pillow under the new knee is my personal recipe - until I need to MOVE NOW!!!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='Peter_C' pid='57953' dateline='1391493117']

[quote] I can seriously feel what you're talking about. Left knee, right shoulder, right hip (replaced, rebuilt, replaced) and the right knee is next on the list, plus low back pain after jumping off a dock and landing badly while dodging a sliding forklift.

I find a sleep-number bed, plus a mix of soft and hard pillows works pretty well for me most nights. Soft pillow behind the low back, hard pillow under the new knee is my personal recipe - until I need to MOVE NOW!!!
[/quote]

haha, I already felt semi-bionic, and now I'm being recharged at night with a compressor, lol.
Look at the bright side Peter we still have our minds, well sorta, mine has been on a bit of a holiday up until very recently.
Keep well,

ps. I get a fair bit of joint relief from Lyprinol.
Post Reply Post Reply
docs tell me no over-the-counter meds, as they will conflict with all the stuff I am on. I suspect this one would conflict with my blood thinners anyhow - though I wish I could take something like that.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2014, 12:42 AM)comatose Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 08:22 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi comatose,
I know what you mean about being poked and prodded by the Dr.s
When I was ten years old, I quit growing taller and started growing out, not up, (Ha-Ha,) so because I started obviously gaining more weight than "THEY" thought I should, I was the test case for many a Dr. and I grew very tired of it. I finally topped out at 4feet6inches&3quarters. Anyway, I said all of that to say that I understand what you mean about not trusting the medical profession.

Hi Trish6hundred, they have to pay for their condo's and Porsche's somehow, Dielaughing
Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha, that's for sure.!

trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the sleep study the night before last, it didn't go to well so the results will probably be boring, a 4 week wait for the results.
It was a split sleep study, the papless part was interrupted several times by the nurse attending to a faulty oxygen sensor, after 3 goes at it she changed it to a digit on the other hand, then next thing I had two on, then she came back and fiddled with them again. The loud public address system announcements and slamming doors added to the mix of disturbances. I am a good sleeper though and I pretty well dozed off within a few minutes of each incident.
Then came the titration, as my nose has been breathing fairly clearly we decided on a nasal mask, sadly it was an ill fitting nasal mask, not because of leaks but because it was quite tight and the pressure of it below my nose snowballed to the point where I had to push the buzzer, then we decided to try nasal pillows, I felt quite comfortable with them and breathed easily, the next thing I knew I was woken from a deep sleep to go home.
The nurse wouldn't/couldn't give me much detail about what any results were determined, what I did squeeze out of her was that the first part of my study went too long, because of that and also the ill fitting mask debacle my titration was shortened to the point where she had only had got me up to the pressure of 8 cmH2O, she did not or would not fully elaborate.

Hmmm, methinks protocols can inhibit progress.

She gave me a CPAP script with a recommended pressure of 8 cmH2O with a suggested Resmed Swift X pillows mask.

As I said before my nose has been much clearer lately, since I started with the machine I have been extremely particular about my dairy intake and this has definitely cleared up my restricted nose breathing. I ordered the Swift X pillows mask last night and should receive it about Tuesday, oz time, my naughty self titrating practices will undoubtedly recommence then Grin
Not sure how this going to go with my mouth breathing but the nurse said that from her observation it shouldn't be an issue, Huhsign

I'll update again sooooon.
Post Reply Post Reply
sound like my titration, i did not sleep that good, kept waking up with water gurgling in the hose ... i said to the tech turn down humidity and get me a hose cover (saw one dangling on the wall) ... she said would not help, also from discomfort as mask strapped tight, when complained to the tech, she said .. you,re not suppose to get comfortable, nobody does ... she seem knows all and set in her own ways. they recommend pressure 8 and then said 9 because of flow limitation. After got my machine, i fooled around and find auto works best for me with minimum 9, feel most comfortable with no ramp or epr ... 95th percentile pressure 11. last time saw the sleep doc ... he said you,re doing fine, keep doing what you,re doing and see you next year ... now i don,t bother with the doc as he only check my compliance and don,t need a doc to tell me how many hours using the machine each night
Post Reply Post Reply
My new ResMed Swift FX mask was delivered yesterday, I changed the pressure on the machine down to 11/14 cmH2O and reset the mask type. I was quite surprised this morning when I realized that there was a dot in between the 1 and the 2, wow ! Grin
It is odd that I have lowered my pressure's for this new mask and my leak levels were much higher than the FFM and AHI shot down? I used my chinstrap also. The combination of the mask and chinstrap makes me feel as though I have one of those little critters out of the Alien move clamped onto my face/head, lol.
It looks like I have a little fine tuning to do and this is only one night but the light at the end of the tunnel looks very close now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Those spikes in leak graph might indicate some mouth breathing, chinstrap would helps keep mouth closed
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 305 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Comfortable adjustment with Evora FFM Columbiabill 3 430 12-15-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,153 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Titration Help/Next Adjustment Advice arch 4 540 10-09-2023, 01:31 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  What AirCurve 10 ASV adjustment makes it easier to exhale against pressure? DevinJones 12 1,226 05-12-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  New to CPAP — settings adjustment rjbutler 8 833 04-02-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.