Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine or operator adjustment?
RE: Machine or operator adjustment?
I agree with you DeepBreathing. I was very negative about the entire 'sleep medicine' industry when it was obvious I have had sleep apnea for years. Once I finally got financially stable enough, I went through the rigamarole of multiple doctor visits + multiple sleep studies just to in the end get a prescription for an APAP with a wide range setting.

APAPs should be available over the counter without prescriptions IMHO.
Post Reply Post Reply
G/day fella's, it's looking like I am going to have to run pretty high pressure's to get this beast under control. My lungs probably aren't in that good of a condition, lot's of welding over the years and I have smoked white ox tobacco for 43 yrs, I think I need to keep bringing the pressures up every few days to condition my lungs.
I have been thinking that the sleep testing mob will want me to run the pressure up to 20 cmH2O ?
Dunno, anyway I am going to set it up to 17.2 tonight and see how I go, I have been at 16.8 for 6 nights now, long enough in my book of rules.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 09:57 PM)comatose Wrote: Bringing up the pressure does not seem to be making much of a difference to my AHI, as Zonk said, maybe I need to go on BIPAP? Or maybe use it for longer at higher pressure?

This Thursday night I go for my 1st sleep study at the hospital, some or all may be revealed then.
Let your sleep doctor knows whats going on. Good luck with the sleep study

Titration protocol http://www.sleepapnea.com/downloads/1002...fGuide.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2014, 01:09 AM)comatose Wrote: G/day fella's, it's looking like I am going to have to run pretty high pressure's to get this beast under control. My lungs probably aren't in that good of a condition, lot's of welding over the years and I have smoked white ox tobacco for 43 yrs, I think I need to keep bringing the pressures up every few days to condition my lungs.
I have been thinking that the sleep testing mob will want me to run the pressure up to 20 cmH2O ?
Dunno, anyway I am going to set it up to 17.2 tonight and see how I go, I have been at 16.8 for 6 nights now, long enough in my book of rules.

why do you keep raising your pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
"why do you keep raising your pressure?"

me50, am I wrong to believe that I must reach a pressure that will hold my airway open?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2014, 05:14 AM)comatose Wrote: "why do you keep raising your pressure?"

me50, am I wrong to believe that I must reach a pressure that will hold my airway open?

your machine is there to supply pressure when there is an indication of an event. Since you have an autoset, you are not receiving a set pressure and your machine should provide the necessary pressure when there is an indication of an obstruction.

What is your AHI each night? What is your leak rate every night? Do you look at your data in ResScan and/or SleepyHead?

Maybe you should try a different mask.

Raising your pressure isn't always the solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
me50, I attached a screenshot on the previous page, post #6.
It appears to me that the pressure I am using is inadequate to stop recurring apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2014, 05:39 AM)comatose Wrote: me50, I attached a screenshot on the previous page, post #6.
It appears to me that the pressure I am using is inadequate to stop recurring apneas.

Maybe you can go back and read the previous posts. Some of the data I looked at, you have clusters of leaks which means that you are not always getting treatment that you need. If you look, when you have high leaks/clusters of leaks, that is when you are having a lot of events and when your pressure is increased.

FFM are known to leak and the leaks are not easy to control. Rather than continue to raise your pressure, I would work on the leak issue and maybe change masks.

That is just my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
me50, I was led to believe that if I keep my leak levels below the red line in resscan, 24 L/min, and get a smiley face in the morning, then I should be getting an adequate flow and pressure of air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Comatose, i'm certainly not the expert here, but it looks like your events are clustered with major leak problems. When it's leaking that bad, you can't necessarily trust all those event flags. AND i'm thinking that when big leaks are occurring, the Autoset is jacking up the pressure to fix the problem but it can't.

I don't think more pressure is necessarily the answer. I think the less pressure you have the more comfortable you are. Until you get the leaks under control, more pressure is just going to make leaks and events worse. Mask leaks seem to be the number one culprit.

From your description, it sounds like maybe you also have air escaping your mouth? Maybe try a chin strap or placing a pad between your chest and chin. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 304 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 218 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Comfortable adjustment with Evora FFM Columbiabill 3 430 12-15-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,142 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Titration Help/Next Adjustment Advice arch 4 539 10-09-2023, 01:31 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  What AirCurve 10 ASV adjustment makes it easier to exhale against pressure? DevinJones 12 1,226 05-12-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  New to CPAP — settings adjustment rjbutler 8 833 04-02-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.