Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine recommendation
RE: Machine recommendation
Just ordered from Supplier #2's New, Open Box Respironics System One DS760 BIPAP Auto w/ Heated Humidifier. They verified it comes with the heated humidifier & tubing, and the 80W power supply. Should be here tomorrow!! We're also buying a F10 full face mask to start with, and if that's a failure we'll start experimenting through other suppliers who offer the Return Insurance. At least this way, husband can get started asap.
I appreciate all the help and advice! I'll keep you posted on how it all goes!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2015, 06:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You can submit a form for the purchase out of network and have some of the cost applied towards your deductible.

Many (most?) people find their insurance won't pay anything at all for CPAP machines other than through a local brick and mortar DME, in-network or not.

Some people find they can get reimbursed for such purchases but it's a hassle.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have done the out of network submittal to Anthem. They take their good time doing it, and you have to fill in their insurance form accurately with all the codes and include the prescription and receipts. In the end it just applies against the deductible, but at least it is submitted.

On the other hand, if you don't submit for reimbursement for a CPAP/BiPAP then you should qualify immediately for one to be supplied (no need to wait 5 years) in the event you do make your deductible in a year or you get better insurance.

Great going Amybird! That is faster action than you would have gotten through any DME and insurance, and you're all set to go. I think being vested in your treatment shows the commitment that almost always translates to success.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 03:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: On the other hand, if you don't submit for reimbursement for a CPAP/BiPAP then you should qualify immediately for one to be supplied (no need to wait 5 years) in the event you do make your deductible in a year or you get better insurance.

This is exactly what we're thinking -- pay out of pocket this year, and then when our deductible is met due to other circumstances, pursue getting a machine through the insurance.

I'm grateful to have found this board... I can't imagine people trying to manage this alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Husband awoke from his first night with the PRS1 BIPAP Auto and an F10 full face mask energized and ready to go at 4am!
His observations: no big issues; around 4am he noticed the mask making noise and felt alert and rested so he got up and took off the mask; he had some lingering marks from the mask this morning on the side he was sleeping on.
My observations: I noticed some weird choking/gurgling when he was first drifting to sleep and occasionally throughout the night (on exhales) but it didn't seem to affect him. The machine was very quiet, and I actually found it harder to sleep through his snoring/choking from 4-6am than than the rhythmic air sounds from 10pm-4am.

Here were the settings for last night:
Max IPAP 25
Min IPAP 4
Max PS 8
Min PS 0
---
Large Leak = 0%
AHI = 6.7
90% pressure = 17/11.5
Periodic Breathing = 0%

I'm thinking of changing his settings as follows and would appreciate any suggestions:
Max IPAP = 25
Min EPAP = 8 **changed from 4**
Max PS = 8
Min PS = 4 **changed from 0**

We're also supposed to get a few other masks in the mail today to try out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Amybirds

Woo hoo! Sounds like life is going to get better for you guys.

Re: "get a few other masks in the mail today to try out" ... hmmm? My DME let us try one of each type in the store, then said pick one and buy it. For the first 30 days we could swap for a different size of the same mask but they won't trade types/brands because they can't bill for it. Maybe I need to be looking at the source you are using for future supplies. Did you get the masks from the same Supplier #2 ? You were mentioning earlier that you might shop around. Please do tell.

thanks and best wishes

saldus miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
I ordered the masks from Supplier #1 with the insurance so I can return them within 30 days. We don't have a local DME to try things on so its a lot of guesswork... Glad to pay a little extra to have the optio to return it if it doesn't work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 01:15 PM)Amybirds Wrote: Here were the [results] for last night:
AHI = 6.7
90% pressure = 17/11.5
I'm thinking of changing his settings as follows and would appreciate any suggestions:
Max IPAP = 25
Min EPAP = 8 **changed from 4**
Max PS = 8
Min PS = 4 **changed from 0**

Hi Amybirds,

Yes, the change in Min EPAP to 8 would be in accord with the recommendation from the Titration Study.

Also, raising Min PS to 4 would be appropriate (looks like 4 is less than was ever used during the titration) and can be done without delay.

Also, I think it would be okay to lower Max IPAP to 20, since the 90% Pressure was well below that and there seems no indication in the titration study that such high pressure was helpful.

Although it is not unusual to set the max IPAP at 25 (for example, 25 is the setting I use), I think the recommendation from the titration study to set Max IPAP at 25 could cause excessive and painful aerophagia at this early stage of therapy.

Take care
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 119 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 263 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,338 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,147 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendation? Dan8585 4 891 10-12-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: NightyTighty
  RECOMMENDATION REQUESTED - LIGHT THERAPY srlevine1 0 351 07-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.