Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine reports AHI over 13 while awake
Machine reports AHI over 13 while awake
I'm just getting back to using CPAP after a break of a few years, as my OSA appears to be getting worse. Today I got it all set up with new nasal cushion, and decided to do a test run while awake just to make sure it was working. I recorded a session of about 1.5 hours, during which it reported AHI of 13.11. I know for a fact I was awake the whole time, listening to a podcast while lying on the couch.

The machine seemed to be working correctly, there were no leaks, the tube temp and humidity were working. It started automatically when I put the mask on my face and started breathing.

It reported 0.73 Obstructive, and 5.83 Hypopnea. 41.65% variable breathing.

So what gives? Is it normal to report AHI at this level while I'm awake, and definitely breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine reports AHI over 13 while awake
Your breathing while awake is normally a wreck. We are only concerned with sleep disorder breathing, and this has no relationship to that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awake breathing will look like a trainwreck on a sleep therapy device. It's OK. You may want to practice getting used to PAP therapy again while awake, just don't judge sleep therapy by that wake time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, cool thanks. Looks like I'm ready to go for tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 674 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 719 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Treatment] Help deciphering OSCAR reports? HannibalBarca 6 638 11-22-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AIRVIEW Daily reports Opus1 3 443 11-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,173 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Reports of off gassing from AirSense 11 ejbpesca 42 4,926 10-17-2023, 10:48 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Pressure] High pressure at midnight causing awake makazaik 5 670 08-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: jwest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.