Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine settings advice for my report [central events]
Machine settings advice for my report [central events]
Hi folks,

I wonder if I might be able to get some advice please. I have been using my APAP machine for 1 month now. These are results from last night which are typical:

[attachment=4707]

[attachment=4708]

The AHI looks bad, but actually all my obstructive events are cured (if I am reading this right?)

The "Clear Airways" as reported by the machine mostly look like those as seen in the 2nd image - i.e. some big breaths followed by not breathing. Which I have read can be down to a yawn or a sigh?

So my question is, should I change any setting on my machine to try and reduce these CAs? Or is the fact that the machine is successfully curing all the obstructive apneas a good sign?

Many thanks for any advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine settings advice for my report
What do you think would happen if you tried 8.0 fixed pressure?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you told you had any central events during the sleep study? Even though the CI is low, and your HI is too, I think you may need as ASV to help treat those.

You could try dropping the maximum pressure slightly. From 15 to 14. Or even 13. Some people have CPAP induced central events but typically not that many.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2018, 04:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What do you think would happen if you tried 8.0 fixed pressure?

Happy to give it a try, but it looks like the machine tends to settle at around 13?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine settings advice for my report [central events]
If you drop it to 8cm fixed rate it should tell you after one night if the pressure is causing the CA events or if you have a problem that can't be fixed with a regular Auto CPAP.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It isn't uncommon to have CA induced events when starting CPAP, it takes time for the body to adjust to having a sudden increase in air blowing off your CO2.  I think they recommend you hang in there for a few months before any consideration is given for ASV. 

As suggested, dropping your pressure may help settle some of the CA events and I knowing what was found during your sleep study would help a lot, as you may not have had any CA events during the study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2018, 04:51 PM)airoutlaw Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 04:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What do you think would happen if you tried 8.0 fixed pressure?

Happy to give it a try, but it looks like the machine tends to settle at around 13?

One reason we like to see Flow Limitation included in your charts is that we can tell why pressure trends higher, even in the absence of obstructive events.  In your case,  you need lower pressure, or a lower maximum pressure to prevent central apnea.  There may be a time when higher pressure is desirable, but if you take my suggestion of 8-cm I can pretty well assure you the central events will mostly resolve.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I'll try fixed to 8 tonight and see what happens!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

So last night I tried a fixed pressure of 8. Subjectively it felt like a bad nights sleep, I think I prefer the slighty higher pressures. I remember waking up a few times during the night.

The weird(?) thing is, even with the pressure of 8 I apparently had zero obstructive apneas? In which case why does the machine like to settle at around 13 when in automatic mode?
That said, there were also higher number of CA's though on the lower pressure! Huhsign

Here's the stats:

What do you think is going on here? Any suggestions for what to try next?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 14 412 23 minutes ago
Last Post: BigWing
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,834 9 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 304 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.