Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine suggestions?
Machine suggestions?
I have an older machine 5yrs Old. It has an SD card that the doctors office takes out and gets the recorded info from. Is there a way for me to get that info? I’d like to see how things are going between visits that are sometimes 6 months apart. I know it can’t connection the internet and doesn’t have Bluetooth either. What machine would you recommend To be able to get an app to see how I’m doing. Also I have never actually met or seen my doctor only his APRN. Is that unusual?
She very nice but sometimes she is a bit of a ditz.
Thanks

PS: is there away to change the machine, humidifier and mask info? I found out what I have along with the air pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine suggestions?
given that your machine has an SD data card you can probably use free Sleephead software. See the links below for how obtain and use the software. We will be glad to help you with any problems you encounter. You can post data in the forum for help with interpretation. If you want to change info in your profile click on user CP in the upper right corner of the forum page.

EDIT: After going to user CP you will see a menu column on the left. Select edit profile and fill in the blanks.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, here you will get answers and help for all things regarding apnea.

at 5 years of age you should be looking for another machine.  Before we suggest a replacement (keep your current machine for a backup) Post some sleepyhead charts as suggested above.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help if you could update your profile data with the exact type of machine you have. You probably want to read this link about selecting machines. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you used the machine for five years, or did you get it recently but it was already five years old? How long have you been using CPAP?

This is before you have updated your profile, so I'm assuming (yeah, I know that's always hazardous) that you have a Resmed S9 since you say there's no wireless datacomm.  If the machine is something else (an S8?), then skip this first part:  You can download PDFs of the S9 user's guide and "quick start" (or welcome guide) here.  These are the UK editions; I couldn't find the USA editions with a quick search.

S9 user's guide: https://www.resmed.com/uk/dam/documents/...r1_eng.pdf
S9 welcome guide: https://www.resmed.com/uk/dam/documents/...r1_eng.pdf

To get the more sophisticated instructions for changing your machine's settings (for any model of machine, not only the S9), use the "CPAP Setup Manuals" link at the top of the apneaboard web page and follow the instructions there to request the PDF by e-mail using your exact machine model name.

When you negotiate to get your replacement machine, it's best to ask for a "Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her" because that's the best and most capable machine available.  If the DME that you're dealing with can't provide that model (which is unlikely), it's OK to settle for the same thing without the "for Her" suffix; that one is almost as good. Those two have the same retail price, by the way.  The most important point it that it should be an Airsense 10 Autoset; don't settle for an "Airsense 10 Elite" or "Airsense 10 CPAP" or anything else.  The insurance HCPCS code for all CPAP and APAP machines is the same, E0601, and the reimbursement amount to the DME is the same, so the DME has no good reason to refuse you the specific machine that you ask for within that lowest tier.  That's assuming that your sleep apnea is OSA (obstructive) and is treated effectively with CPAP/APAP and you don't need the more advanced bi-level or ASV.  The Resmed series for those machines in the two higher tiers is called Aircurve 10 rather than Airsense 10, and those have different insurance codes, are more expensive, and require different prescriptions.

The "Machine Choices" wiki article that Wally pointed to is excellent, but all that information (in addition to the above) might be overkill at first, because at the end of the day (and the night) it really is as simple as saying "Airsense 10 Autoset", preferably with "for Her".
Post Reply Post Reply
The correct machine for you will depend on what events you have, thus the importance of posting your daily charts.
IF you have only OSA, and no Central, Mixed, Complex apnea and minimal flow limitation is a CPAP or Auto-CPAP such as the Autoset or Autoset for her the best machine for you.

I prefer to see some data before recommending a replacement machine. At least know exactly what is being treated. So far we know ResMed with an SD card is the current, not necessarily the best machine.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2018, 11:30 AM)bonjour Wrote: I prefer to see some data before recommending a replacement machine.  At least know exactly what is being treated.  So far we know ResMed with an SD card is the current, not necessarily the best machine.

Yes, good point. My earlier suggestions should really be held in abeyance for now. In the meantime, it would be good to download the manuals for the machine that is being used (and print those if possible) and get familiar with the machine and its settings, because the next machine will be similar in many ways.

It's sort of like a very sophisticated stereo system: It is possible to use it in a primitive way without knowing what all the controls do, but once you have become familiar with those, you can get vastly better (and more pleasing) results out of the equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Giving up Evora, need suggestions PaulaO2 8 100 8 minutes ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,339 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Looking for suggestions chzuck 31 545 04-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 3,096 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 315 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 341 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.