Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine turning off when I'm sleeping but my mask is still on?
Machine turning off when I'm sleeping but my mask is still on?
Hello, last night I woke up a few times feeling like I couldn't breath even though my mask was on and secured and kept trying to push through the feeling and go back to sleep finally after awhile I sat up, turned off my machine only to realize it was already off! My best guess is that maybe I started breathing through my mouth during my sleep and my machine thought my mask wasn't on and turned off automatically, does the machine do that? My mask was on securely and I wore it all night so I know it wasn't because I removed my mask. I will attach the screenshot where it looks like I stopped wearing my mask for a while but I didn't. I appreciate any help because I have been struggling to use my machine for more than a few hours each night and this might be why.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine turning off when I'm sleeping but my mask is still on?
There are Auto Start and Auto Stop settings that may be on. It's possible Auto Stop turned the machine off.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine has a feature called "smart start" that turns it off automatically when the mask is removed and turns it back on automatically when you start breathing through the mask again. It can be turned off in the settings. But if your breathing through your mouth while using nasal pillows it won't matter if the machine is on or off. You won't get effective therapy. You need to eliminate the mouth breathing or use a full face mask.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help. I just checked the settings and the smartstart feature is turned off. I don't think I was breathing through my mouth, I was just wondering if that could have caused the machine to turn off if it sensed the flow was altered. I took a close up screenshot of my leak rate right before it turned itself off but it doesn't look like it was detecting a leak, just a clean cut off. If this isn't something with my machine then I might contact the power company to see if we had any loss of power.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine was only delivering a mere 5 cm of air pressure at the time of stoppage.  That should not have been the case as it's rather stingy.  That might have been a reasonable starting pressure for you, but I'm guessing you are prescribed something higher, say 9 cm...?

The interruption might have been due to power outage, or a disconnected power source/cord.  Low risk that it's a thermal break due to overheating somewhere.

I agree with checking with your power provider to eliminate an outage.  There are no other clocks, say on your kitchen stove, that might have shown the interruption?
Post Reply Post Reply
I am prescribed a pressure setting of 4 -9 but my machine rarely needs to go over 7. 

My electric company said they had no outages and my clocks are all still set. I checked the power cord is securely in place and we live in a newer home so no old outlets. I'm running the machine now while not wearing it and it hasn't shut off so far is been 10 minutes. Maybe it was a fluke. Thank you all for your suggestions in helping me troubleshoot it!
Post Reply Post Reply
You didn't mention it, but do you perchance have a cat? One of my cats has learned if she turns off my machine, I will wake up. and if I am awake, I will get up and feed her. I am working on a cover for my machine so I can cover the switch. Don't have a drawer I can put it into.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you should raise your minimum pressure to 6 it will feel more comfortable. Many uses feel air starved at a setting of 4
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have a cat, I didn't even think about that! 

The pressure setting is a struggle because I have a connective tissue disorder. Even on the low pressure of 4 it causes symptoms. It does feel easier to breath with a setting of 5-6 but then daily use is intolerable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been looking through my different reports and I found a few strange things like the one I'll attach below. Is this a sign of my machine malfunctioning?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 205 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 252 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.