Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine whining
RE: Machine whining
Weird thing is it started about a month ago. Been using it since December.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, all things change over time. Perhaps the minor defect was stable until it had been exposed to stresses for enough hours that it now manifests more audibly due to weakening of the material (frequency change to the point where you can now hear it). I'm just SWAGging here, but....[shrug]...
Post Reply Post Reply
They all make some noise.

The higher the pressure, the more noise. So if your machine, or your doctor, has decided you need more pressure, it will make more noise.

Some units make more noise than others. If you (or your insurance company) are leasing yours through a DME provider, they may be willing to exchange it. Mine did. Be prepared to drive to their office, so you can listen to several units. 

A whine may be bearing noise - if it is getting louder, your bearings may be going. When they go, unless you are mechanically adept enough to change your bearings, you will probably need a new machine. (Maybe there are people who can do that for you - I don't know.)

BTW, nominally, the Phillips Respironics units make less noise than the ResMed ones - but when I listened at the office, the ResMed ones all made less noise.

There is a muffler called the "Q-Tube", that claims to be able to muffle CPAP machine whine.

Water in your humidifier also muffles the sound - so put in water up to the fill line.

Also, if you turn on a fan, the white noise it generates will mask the whine. If the fan blows over your skin, it will cool it - and being cool makes it easier to go to sleep. 
Commercial Link Removed.  Instead search Supplier #1 for Q-Tube muffler.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night it didn't make any noise at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, maybe I should not have mentioned the Q-Tube. According to an ad, it doesn't work with water-based humidifiers, and it disconnects the heated hoses.

May I also suggest putting the machine as far from you as possible, and putting it on a towel or something else that absorbs sound - but not so far you knock the machine over by pulling on the tube? I think that will only help with noise transmitted through the air, not through the tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not a bothersome noise when it happens, just wondering if I need be concerned.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think my machine also whines when a little water condenses in the tubes.

Try picking up the mask, high above the level of the machine, and pulling the tube tight enough that the water all runs downhill back to the machine. If that doesn't work, disconnect the tube, and drain it. 

If that doesn't work, I would personally suspect the bearings are going, and that means the machine needs major work or replacement.

But I'm not an expert.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like I mentioned, since changing to the Wisp when it does it it's much less noticeable. But it doesn't consistently do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes my machine gets into a mode where it is delivering high pressure, presumably because it doesn't like something about the shape of my flow waveforms, though it doesn't reflect events that contribute to the AHI. E.g., it seems to do that if I take an unusually deep breath, or if my waveforms are too asymmetric. 

In high pressure mode it creates a whining noise. If I stop the machine, and start it again, it returns to low noise. Try it.

Oddly enough, by the way, I had the opposite experience compared to you with the PR masks - I get less wind noise with a Resmed F20 mask. But my second Resmed Pillow fits a little worse than the first, and makes a little more noise than the first. (I use the Silicone masks, not the memory foam ones, because it looks like it is harder to clean the memory foam ones.)

But I'm still a newbie, so don't give any of that too much weight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,192 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,796 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  A10 Whining noise? Nightynite 20 2,316 01-01-2022, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  whining air noise from Resmed airsense 10 auto bunter 29 37,776 11-12-2021, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Mrzocor
  whining noise resmed aircurve Sleepinwell 3 1,086 05-08-2021, 11:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Whining siren noise and bearing replacement/repair clintga 28 24,413 05-03-2019, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Needhelp2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.