Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Made it through the titration sleep study.
Made it through the titration sleep study.
Just figured I'd report back on the titration study.
Had a bi-level titration sleep study Thursday night and survived Rolleyes
Think I actually slept about 3 hours - went to bed a little after 11:00 pm, took a long time to get to sleep (even with taking a sleeping pill) and woke up at 3:00 am for good. Laid there feeling like I had to force the exhale the rest of the study.
I see the Dr for the follow up on 6/18 and have a set up appt. the 20th.
Tried it with the nasal pillow type mask and a chin strap.
The pillows were bothering my nose by the end, but I think the full face mask they put on me during the initial study was worse.
Don't really know what to expect, but thinking it will take a lot to get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Made it through the titration sleep study.
Congrats on making it through the titration study. I honestly don't know how they expect people to sleep normally with all those sensors attached to your body. My first sleep study, to determine if I had apnea, was the worst night I ever slept. I was so exhausted from sleeping that I went home and slept 6 hours straight.

I hope the doc visit in a few weeks goes well and that you get the equipment you need to start sleeping well. It could take several trials with different masks before you find one that feels right. Don't give up on it. You will find a mask or nasal pillows that won't bother you and you can start getting a good night's sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. I remember my first nasal masks. They'd expand and contract with the pressure changes as I inhaled and exhaled. I thought I'd never get to sleep with that on my face. But, after a while, that expansion and contraction went away and I never noticed it again. I eventually switched to nasal pillows, but I think if I'd started with pillows they'd have made my nostrils expand and contract.

I think that once we get used to the mask and the air pressure we calm down and start to breathe normally again. At first we're anxious and don't breathe normally.

CPAP problems like mouth-leaking, aerophagia, and anxiety tend to subside with time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster, I hated that too! The moving mask. But we could never fix the leak issue so I went to nasal pillows. If they move, I've never felt it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ah the joys of sleep studies... it's been a long time ago, but it seems like it was awful sleep-wise, only to find out I had it, but not bad enough for the insurance to pay for it.

Finally, work changed insurance, and I could go for a study again, and that company allowed me to get on a machine, and it was almost instantaneous help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, once you get your own machine, you might purchase one where you can adjust your exhalation pressure. I have had my new machine for about a week...and it is like night and day for me, using the EPR. Also, my loaner they set up a Ramp, but I had my new one set up without a Ramp. I am about 8 weeks in, and I love it. It does take a bit to get used to. For me, I would have 3 good nights at the beginning, and I thought I had it made...but alas, there ended up being more bad nights then good. Now, after 8 weeks I would say at least 5 out of 7 nights are great. I also have issues with sleeping, even before CPAP, and those seem to be mellowing out as well. Good luck, and how great to have your testing all done. My first study was the worst night of my life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its strange - although I don't like the idea of having to sleep with a machine/mask the rest of my life, I am looking forward to trying it out.
I don't sleep well (woke up at 3:30 am - an hour before my alarm clock went off this morning) I'm hoping things will improve with the use of the machine.
Had a bi level titration study done, so I'm assuming that is what they will be setting me up with. Also used the nasal pillow type mask.
I'm anxious to see what happens - wish I didn't have to wait 2 more weeks for the appointment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2012, 05:04 AM)johns019 Wrote: Its strange - although I don't like the idea of having to sleep with a machine/mask the rest of my life, I am looking forward to trying it out.

You have a good starting attitude towards CPAP. That's VERY important. The real key for most folks is that you have to want it to work for you, and given that you're looking forward to using it is a very good sign.

I predict you will do well with CPAP.

Happy Eyes
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2012, 11:14 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 05:04 AM)johns019 Wrote: Its strange - although I don't like the idea of having to sleep with a machine/mask the rest of my life, I am looking forward to trying it out.

You have a good starting attitude towards CPAP. That's VERY important. The real key for most folks is that you have to want it to work for you, and given that you're looking forward to using it is a very good sign.

I predict you will do well with CPAP.

Happy Eyes

Thanks - I'm really hoping it will make a difference - so is my wife Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I hated the idea too - and I'm a scuba diver, and used to having weird stuff on my face. Gotta tell you, after waking up that first morning after 9.5 hours of real sleep, and *none* of the symptoms I was used to - being tired all day, no energy, nodding off between sentences... etc - I got used to it really fast.

Now, apparently I was one of the people lucky enough to see instant results, so don't get discouraged if you don't. Seems I'm more the weird case then the norm... but you *will* see improvement, even if it takes a little while.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 72 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.