Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Made it to 8.5 hours last night! No large leaks either!
Made it to 8.5 hours last night! No large leaks either!
Had a breakthrough last night: was able to mask up at 11 p.m., kept it on til 7:30 this morning despite waking twice during the night. Best part was no large leaks (other than taking off the mask once to use the bathroom) and my leak average was 52, instead of in the 70's or higher. I tightened the straps on my Wisp mask to see if that would help (the night before I was in large leak territory for half the night, average leak 91), since I seem to have problems during the last few hours of sleep. OA index was 0.2. Some CA's recorded but during the times I was awake.

Mask straps still really bother my ears, I keep having to pull the bottom ones down since I sleep on my side. In six weeks I think I'm due for a new mask from Lincare so I think I can survive til then.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Made it to 8.5 hours last night! No large leaks either!
Hi ellen!
Did you get any AHI numbers from that run?
Just curious...
Since you are using a nasal mask, you might not be getting all the leaks from the mask alone.
Perhaps your mouth falls open at night?

Cheers!
Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2013, 08:32 AM)Shastzi Wrote: Hi ellen!
Did you get any AHI numbers from that run?
Just curious...
Since you are using a nasal mask, you might not be getting all the leaks from the mask alone.
Perhaps your mouth falls open at night?

Cheers!
Sleep-well

AHI was 5.6, OA was 0.2, CA's during the times I was awake brought the AHI number up. I put a piece of tape (papery first aid tape) over my lips vertically to keep them mostly closed, because my mouth does fall open when I sleep. I leave just enough room to take a breath of air from the side of my mouth. This morning my mouth was pretty dry, not as dry as if I weren't using the machine, but drier than usual. I haven't gone longer than six hours up til now, and the water was nearly all gone from the humidifier tank.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ellen1159,
It's great that you were able to keep your mask on for that long, I know you have had a rought time, CONGRATULATIONS.!
Just curious, have you thought about using a chinstrap instead of tape?
Hang in there and keep it up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yay Ellen! That's a step in the right direction Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2013, 10:35 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi ellen1159,
It's great that you were able to keep your mask on for that long, I know you have had a rought time, CONGRATULATIONS.!
Just curious, have you thought about using a chinstrap instead of tape?
Hang in there and keep it up.

Trish, I tried a chinstrap but found that I couldn't tighten it enough to stop slipping on my hair without gagging myself. I was given a suggestion to try a large barrette to secure the top of the strap to my hair, but I thought I'd try the chin up adhesive strips first (didn't work for me) and then the first aid tape.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ellen, is the chin strap you are using a single band, or does it have "Y" shaped end(s) to cradle your head (and possible cradle your chin)? You may find a "Y" shaped one does better, somewhat like the newer head gear shapes for ffms.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2013, 03:28 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Ellen, is the chin strap you are using a single band, or does it have "Y" shaped end(s) to cradle your head (and possible cradle your chin)? You may find a "Y" shaped one does better, somewhat like the newer head gear shapes for ffms.

It was a single band. I should check out the Y shaped straps. Maybe the bottom stability would keep the top part of the band from slipping?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ellen1159,
I understand what you mean about the chinstrap, I had a lot of trouble with the single band chinstraps, as they wouldn't stay in place; they would keep slipping off my head, so maybe the Y-shaped ones would be better for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2013, 03:49 PM)ellen1159 Wrote:
(09-24-2013, 03:28 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Ellen, is the chin strap you are using a single band, or does it have "Y" shaped end(s) to cradle your head (and possible cradle your chin)? You may find a "Y" shaped one does better, somewhat like the newer head gear shapes for ffms.

It was a single band. I should check out the Y shaped straps. Maybe the bottom stability would keep the top part of the band from slipping?

Hi Ellen

My hair is almost to my waist and I have trouble with headgears sticking to my hair so I have to put my hair on top of my head. Maybe that will work for you?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 157 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 280 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.