Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Magnetic closure masks - Warning
Magnetic closure masks - Warning
From a sleeptech on another forum

I have been meaning to post about this for a while now. There have been a few masks come out over the last year or 2 with magnetic clips, such as the ResMed AiFit F20, The ResMed AirFit N20 and the Respironics DreamWear full face. The idea has its merits as it makes them much easier to use for people with reduced dexterity, however, it comes with a major caveat. If you have a pacemaker, defibrillator or other implanted device in your upper chest, neck or head area you must not use a mask with magnetic clips. The magnets in them can seriously interfere with the operation of your implanted device. There is a warning to this effect nestled deep in the instruction manual somewhere, but other than the the manufacturers do little to highlight this problem.

We had a patient who used one of these masks with a pacemaker and reported to us that, as every morning when he got up he felt really strange in the chest. we discovered that this was because, when he took off his mask, the magnetic strap would pass near his pacemaker and reset it to 120 beats per minute. Needless to say, we took that mask away from him and found an alternative. It can also interfere with hearing aids, cochlear implants and similar. If in doubt be cautious and do some research.

So be careful and spread the word.

I refuse to take the chance and get one.  My wife is the one with a pacemaker
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Magnetic closure masks - Warning
Thanks for the warning!  My Wisp headgear also has magnetic closures.  Not a problem now but there could be a pacemaker in my future.  I just finished a 2 week heart monitor study--not the Holtar kind but a little pack stuck to my chest--not far from the magnets.  I wonder if this could interfere with results....
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the PSA!

I was getting fitted for a new mask at a new DME, and as the RT was fastening (or had already fastened) the magnetic closure while on my face, he asked "Oh, you don't have a pacemaker, right?" At least he asked. But I do think they should ask before they even bring the mask into the room to try out.
Post Reply Post Reply
this topic was mentioned to a local cardiologist, he was not concerned at all about the clips. wonder if there's any data out on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2019, 08:50 AM)dmeRT Wrote: this topic was mentioned to a local cardiologist, he was not concerned at all about the clips.  wonder if there's any data out on this?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18334784

The study was conducted using neodymium magnets much more powerful than common magnets found in most products.

ResMed N-20 masks do come with a magnet warning.

Quote:WARNING
Magnets used in this mask are within ICNIRP guidelines for general public use. Some active medical implants—such as a pacemaker or defibrillator—may be affected by localized magnetic fields. The magnetic clips in this mask should be kept at least 2 in. (50 mm) away from any active medical implant. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip. The Wisp does have the optional magnetic clips.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
I see my cardiologist soon and will see what she says. Not a problem at the moment for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to echo others: The mask comes with a warning about pacemakers and the magnets.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip and warning, better to be cautious than having problems
Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't apply to me, but I do appreciate the warning and public service.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 410 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.