Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Major Mask Leak

Good Morning-

woke up this am with what I felt was a pretty good night of rest and treatment. When I looked at my Sleepyhead readout, my feeling were confirmed- I slept over 7 hours with an AHI of .14- however, it said I had "major mask leakage". My feeling has always been that if one has major leakage, then treatment will be comprised- obviously, in my case, that was not the case last night. Can anyone explain the relationship and/or the significance of leakage and successful trteatment?

I am presently using a new mask, the nasal Wisp, and the results have been excellent. Because I have always been a mouth breather I have had to continually tape my mouth to avoid this from occurring. In fact, I also use a pretty expensive dental device (SomnoDent Classic) as well as a chin strap. Last night, as an experiment, my tape job was not as complete as usual and, because my jaw seemed overly sore from the dental device, I went with just a MMA mouthpiece to try and control the air leakage.
 Bottom line- results were excellent but I had the leakage. Can anyone explain? - from a comfort perspective, last night was certainly better but I do not want to continue my "new" method if it will effect the success of my treatment. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see "major mask leakage" on your daily chart.

And some leakage on CPAP's is intentional.. deliberately engineered in to vent CO2. I believe Respironics numbers reflect intentional plus unintentional leaks. Resmed's reflect unintentional leaks only.
Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't look bad as far as the statistics go. It really depends on if it's affecting your sleep. If it doesn't wake you up and you feel rested in the morning I think your OK.

Here's a hint on posting charts. Make sure the chart is showing 100% and not zoomed in unless there's something specific you need a closeup of. Also try to arrange the data as shown in the link below.
Post Reply Post Reply

You were only over the leak threshold for 1.37% of the time so I would not worry
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I have a leak?? Fixit50 4 54 6 hours ago
Last Post: ajack
  Resmed F20 leak rate tricountytrail 14 331 11-17-2017, 08:08 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Respironics no leak; Resmed huge leak sc4922 31 658 11-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Last Post: sc4922
  Leak rate (and AHI) brojohn1611 6 352 11-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  DIY Amara View Mask Leak Fix jrdnduvall 8 232 11-06-2017, 08:58 PM