Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Major dental work and mask
Major dental work and mask
Next Tuesday (7th) I'm having some major dental work done. As in a bunch of teeth pulled and dentures made. I've never had teeth pulled in the front before. All molars so far. I will keep my lower front teeth but losing the upper. If it goes about as much fun as I have had before (my teeth have very long roots), I expect to have a sore jaw, lots of blood, and be miserable. So the last thing I want is to not be sleeping well.

But what the heck do I do about a mask??

I could use the Nuance but I really don't think a chin strap would be a good idea. I lip leak, not open mouth. The PAPCap is cloth and might be better to use but still, it has to be kinda tight to work.

The Simplus *might* work but it is going to push on the upper gums. Not sure that is such a good idea.

Should I use the Nuance by itself and deal with leaks? See if they actually happen?
Nuance and papcap?
Or just use the Simplus?
Hmm, could go with Nuance and my cervical collar. My neck is going to be screaming anyway.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Major dental work and mask
Paula, I am not sure what to advise with I will commiserate with the long roots. Mine also tend to form a loop where the tips of the roots wrap around the nerve and meet. I hate dentistry. Give me CPAP any day!

Does the Simplus push on your upper gums? Mine seems to only press on my nose and lower gums. Codeine, or something like that, is the best thing for the bone and nerve pain but will depress respiration. That is a tough choice.

Best wishes for your procedure. I certainly don't envy you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Dentist told me about tea bags to stop bleeding, they worked when nothing else seamed to.
Tramadol is what I use for pain of the dentil kind and some others.
I used to use the simplus and don't see how it would push on the upper gums, unless way over at the sides.
I usually find that the pain comes from where the teeth came out and not so much on the front of the gums unless they really had to work at it.
Perhaps if you prop yourself up for a couple days you could get by with less pressure and a looser mask?
5mg valium works wonders before you go in, don't drive. Dentist can prescribe it, one the night before and one the morning of.
There is no reason to suffer if it can be avoided.
Good luck and keep us updated about how you are doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula,

Wow, I had two lower teeth extracted two months ago so I really feel for you.

If I were in your situation, I would go with the Nuance and see how you do leak wise since there isn't anything pressing against the mouth area. If the leaks are a problem, then give the Simplus a shot.

As a Simplus owner in addition to my elan mask, I agree with PoolQ about it not pressing against the upper jaw. But if you decide to wear it, you might want to check with your surgeon to make sure it is ok to use.

By the way, if you haven't done so, you might want to switch to old sheets and put a few old towels around your pillow area before you go to bed just in case you have bleeding. I thought mine was controlled and didn't do that only to wake up with a small amount of blood on my sheets and mattress protector.

Lots of luck.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Paula,

Wishing you bonne courage, as they say down here. Hope it goes very well. Don't envy you...

Just like to suggest using the largest size Simplus you have and tucking your chin *inside* the mask (I use it like that all the time). That way your only pressure points will be the nose bridge and under the chin. Wearing it like that keeps my mouth relaxed and comfortable all night.

And you've mentioned before you use double-liners anyway? No real logic behind the suggestion but you could always try triple!

best wishes
....................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help another xPAP user.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-12. PS 3-10
Post Reply Post Reply
The Simplus hits above a canine tooth that has swelling into the cheek. It has kept that tooth irritated. Or the tooth is always irritated anyway. So it makes me assume the mask is going to continue to do the same. But it might not! I played with it last night and only that spot is where I notice pressure in regards to gums.

On the other hand, the Nuance sits right on top of the top gums. I don't think I'll be able to use it. I'll mess around with sizing again tonight.

I think I am using the medium Simplus. Large would leak too much at the nose.

I much thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes. I am NOT looking forward to this. But I have to have it done. And it has to be done before they will do the neck surgery (no infections allowed).
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I assume that they are going to take a hard look at that canine tooth that is irritated. I had a problem tooth and it turned out I was undiagnosed diabetic (Glucose 350). That tooth may just have gotten irritated by something else at first and the mask keeps it irritated or something else could be going on. I have not been on the forums all that long, but this is the first I have heard of inflamed gums cause by CPAP. Sore teeth from straps too tight yes, but not just one tooth on one side.

I know that the valium is not the usual thing for going to the dentist. Have you ever had a filling in the upper two center teeth? I have and the injection is truly not fun for those. I don't want to make this situation worse leading up to it, but that is the only time my dentist actually told me "this is going to hurt" and she was quite right.

I assume they will be getting you good and numb before they start. Just saying that I really wish I hade used the valium before that one.

All the best!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an appt with my GP before that. I'm going to talk to her about what I can do. The place I am going is one of those cheap denture places so my bet is they don't care much. The doc did know about Ehlers-Danlos and was surprised I had as many teeth left as I do. Between the medication and the EDS (microfractures on the enamel as well as gum issues), I was doomed. My mother's teeth turned sideways. My older siblings just literally fell out. But mine have such humongous roots, they held on in place.

I've never had a filling or anything on non-molars until the other day when I had some fillings done to some lower front teeth. Didn't hurt much. Then about five years ago, they all started to literally fall apart. And underneath was black. Not bad on the outside but black on inside. The dentist I saw the other day for the fillings said it was medications that caused that. The black was almost as hard as the tooth. Gross, I know, and I was disgusted with myself. But he and the assistant were telling me they see patients on a regular basis with similar problems. Just not the whole mouth like mine.

I did some research and it seems some beta blockers and anti-depressants decrease saliva or change the composition of saliva. This changes the chemistry inside the mouth as well as creates dry mouth. Saliva is the best thing to help combat against the sugars we eat and drink in terms of mouth and tooth health. So with the medications I take/took, the microfractures, the gum issues, and the CPAP, yeah, doomed.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula, can't give advice on a mask, but I will be thinking of you.
It will be trial and error after the procedure to see what mask feels best and doesn't cause any more discomfort.

I can relate somewhat as I've had bad teeth all my life. Almost every tooth has either been filled, or have had root canals done.

Wishing you well.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula,
Good luck to you with your procedure and I hope it goes better than yu expect.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tools for "forced" side sleeping (noodles), do they work Fox66 2 105 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 343 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 820 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 234 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 311 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 738 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,869 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.