Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Major mask leak
Major mask leak
SleepyHead often reports significant periods of major mask leak. Please see image.    

Should I be concerned about this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Major mask leak
The Phillips Respironics machines report "Total Leak Rate".
This includes both the intentional leak rate and excessive leaks.

The intentional leak rate is built into your mask venting (so you are not rebreathing CO2)
The excessive leak can be from an ill fitting mask or simply mouth breathing.

Here is a link to the beginners guide to SH.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Scroll down to the "Leak" section under contents which explains it in depth.

As far as your data, there doesn't appear to be any large leaks reported.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are using a nasal mask...any interest in using nasal pillows which are easier to seal?

Looking at the posted chart, the leaks seem to be on the high side of a tolerable range. Do you perceive mask leaks or pressure escaping through your mouth?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose. The link was very helpful.

Sleeprider: I think I might give nasal pillows a try.

Last night was unusual. It's the longest I've used the machine in a long time. A stressful event occurred yesterday that I was probably processing in my dreams. (I had weird dreams last night.) I woke up thinking I was breathing through my mouth. As I said this was an unusual night.

I tried the full face mask. The nasal mask has fewer leaks for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows are the lightest interface and easiest to seal. I think you may like them. I don't see anything in the data posted that requires immediate attention, and would not want to make recommendations on an atypical night anyway. With regard to leaks, you can see the periods of highest leak correspond to decreases in the flow rate amplitude. This may be the effect of leaks or events, but we'd have to zoom in a little closer to narrow that down.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'll try the pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 236 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,409 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 150 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.