Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Major rainout with new gear
RE: Major rainout with new gear
AvignOn, the tube is lower than body temperature. You have yours set at 86*F and body temperature is 98.6*F, so the tube won't feel warm to the touch.  The tube heat is only to raise the wall of the tube to prevent condensation. If you feel dry, just raise the humidity setting to 4.  I usually use a setting of 4 with tube temperature at 80*F and find that comfortable and effective at avoiding rainout.  I also use the Snuggle Skins fleece tube cover for 6' to 8' tubes, which makes it much softer, quieter and more comfortable, as well as preventing any condensation.  This tube covers end to end with left-over material along the tube.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Granted, it's not warmer than I am, but, it is warmer than objects at room temp (~75 degrees), so will feel a bit warmer than say the bed or wall--I could always feel my DreamStation tubing being slightly warm, and I don't think it went as high as 86 degrees...

I started the Humidity settings at 5, then 4, and now at 3--4 still gave me water in the nosepiece, but 3 is a bit dry...so my thought is for some reason the heated tubing isn't stopping the water from forming (I do have the machine lower than my head, about a foot lower).

I actually ordered a ResMed Tubing Cover (mainly...coz we have two cats...<G>), so, hopefully that'll do the trick.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
The tube cover should help avoid condensation, but for me it's the comfort factor being at the next level. It should help avoid damage from the kittys too.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used heated tubes and humidifiers on auto for several months and have never experienced rainout.
Rainout can only happen due to temperature difference between the inside of the tube and the outside. Seeing that the air flow cools down the inside of the tube, the auto setting maintains a constant temperature in the wall of the tube, to match that of the outside.
If you deliberately keep your bedroom temperature very cold, then you must choose a "manual" setting for the tube that is warmer than the outside. This way the water vapor from the humidifier will not condense as it travels through a cold tube, resulting in rainout.
So increase the tube temperature and if your humidifier is set very high, drop it a couple of notches and "Bob's you uncle" as they say in Canada.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our bedroom is ~74-76 degrees at night, when I first got the AirSense 11, it was set to Climate Control=Auto, and I had a lot of rainout.  I then set the Tube Temp to 86, but still had a lot of rainout, so I set Climate Control=Manual and 3 (4 gave me slight rainout), and Tube Temp to 86, but I feel dry in morning.

Thing is--I'm using the same mask I used with the DreamStation, and NEVER had rainout in my bedroom--only change was machine and tubing.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
You are welcome to post a daily details chart from Oscar. Perhaps your leak rate has increased causing a dryer airway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] ResMed rainout help Sorcha 2 383 12-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How do I stop this rainout?!?! Please help tierdal 17 1,207 12-12-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Rainout prevention - dry mouth issue BlueSky1958 5 583 11-22-2023, 10:05 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Constantly Rainout with Climateline all of a sudden, help? tierdal 6 759 09-21-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Sudden rainout on AirSense 11 dovaleh 8 1,660 09-21-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: enigmatic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.