Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Major rainout with new gear
Major rainout with new gear
Hi all

Haven't posted for a while, but have kept an eye on the forum.

Just retired me Resmed s9 elite after several years with no major issues. Now using Airsense 10 Autoset, Airfit p10 mask, and Climateline heated tubing. Tube temp and humidity were both set to Auto. Our bedroom temp is quite cool.

Woke up last night with major rainout, and as a result had a crappy day. Discovered today my Climateline tube was very wet, along with pillows and small tube.

I'm trying manual temp and humidity settings, but in the meantime, can I ask:

1. I thought the heating was supposed to eliminate moisture in the tube. Apparently not?! Or am I crazy?
2. What is the most effective way of drying the tube out quickly?

Thanks in advance,
brianps
Huh
Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Signs
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Major rainout with new gear
1. I'd go for at least a manual tube setting of 80°F or near that. Adjust it up or down a few clicks to get it where you need it to combat rainout. You may want to consider a hose cover.

2. To dry it, remove it and drain water into the sink and attach it to your PAP and turn it on minus mask for a few seconds to blow moisture out.

Done. Get a coffee, you've earned it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2021, 04:55 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: 1. I'd go for at least a manual tube setting of 80°F or near that. Adjust it up or down a few clicks to get it where you need it to combat rainout. You may want to consider a hose cover.

2. To dry it, remove it and drain water into the sink and attach it to your PAP and turn it on minus mask for a few seconds to blow moisture out.

Done. Get a coffee, you've earned it.

I'm using a very similar setup with the climateline tube and humidity level and tube heat all on auto. I had one night with a bunch of unexpected rainout too. Put on one of those fleece hose covers and that seemed to have cured the rainout problem. Be advised that the covers are cut to length for a standard hose. The climateline hose is about 6 to 8 inches longer (I didn't measure them) so there will be an uncovered segment if used on climateline. Not a problem for functionality though.

If you drain the majority of water from the rained-out tube, and shake it around a little while doing so, you can put it all back on right away and it should dry out as you are using it. Unless the environment supports the production of rainout again.

The hose covers do work great though. Pick your favorite color and go for it.

Coffee
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never had a problem with a tube setting of 80 and humidity at 3 or 4. I use a Snugglehose fleece cover (Amazon) that fits tubes up to 8-feet. The extra length allows the cover to go over the tube and the smaller tube on the P10 mask. It feels very soft and warm on your face and will prevent any possibility of condensation all the way to the mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
is your machine placed lower than the top mattress of your bed? Are you using a hose holder / hanger? 

A hose cover is a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all and many thanks to all of you who have posted helpful responses. 

I seem to have solved the problem with a combination of manual temp and humidity modifications. 

I really appreciate the thoughtful and helpful folks on this forum. 

Thanks again! ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps you might share the solution so others will benefit?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have problems with rainout and am looking for hose covers on Amazon. Any recommendations or are the brands similar? Can anyone share their experience ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2021, 08:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Perhaps you might share the solution so others will benefit?

Sure! I changed Climate control to manual, reduced the hose temp to 75, and the humidity to level 3. I also keep the short mask hose and part of the heated hose under the covers. 

Not exactly an elegant solution, but it’s working so far. 

I might mention as well that we keep our bedroom door closed (cat tends to  walk all over us when he gets hungry), and the room is quite cool. The night of the rainout was very cold; we had a late snowfall here in Ontario. That may have been a contributing factor. It may be that the AirSense will need a bit more tinkering to account for weather than my old Elite S9. 

Hope that’s helpful!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got the AirSense 11 AutoSet (used CPAP for 5 years, but this is replacement for recalled DreamStation), and am getting major rainout issues, too. I have the ClimateLineAir 11 heated tubing, but...even up to 86 degrees, the tubing doesn't feel warm at all--shouldn't it?

I have adjusted things too, and ended up with Climate Control to Manual, Humidity to 3, and Tube Temp to 86%, which has eliminated most of the rainout, but...I feel kinda dry in the morning, so, need to turn Humidity higher...but, then, rainout...

Thoughts, or do I have a defective heated tube (and...if it's defective, wouldn't the machine register a fault)?

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] ResMed rainout help Sorcha 2 383 12-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How do I stop this rainout?!?! Please help tierdal 17 1,207 12-12-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Rainout prevention - dry mouth issue BlueSky1958 5 583 11-22-2023, 10:05 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Constantly Rainout with Climateline all of a sudden, help? tierdal 6 759 09-21-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Sudden rainout on AirSense 11 dovaleh 8 1,661 09-21-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: enigmatic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.