Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Make Leak Advice/Help
Make Leak Advice/Help
Hello, 

I'm new to this forum and to the world of sleep apnea. I've only been using a machine for a week and a half now and it's not going so well. For some reason, day two was amazing and every other day has been terrible. 

I have severe sleep apnea (75/hr) so the pressure goes pretty high when I'm asleep and leaks like crazy. 

The problem is when I test masks with my DME provider, they fit well with no leaks and everything seems good. I come home, go to bed and get crazy leaks.  
I've only done this with two masks now, but the current one seemed very promising. It's a ResMed F20 (first one was F10) and she tested it at 17cm and I even laid down on their bed in all the usual positions and everything was good. Got home and it was a different story trying to sleep.

I know finding the right mask is a process and have read and watched many posts/articles/videos on fitting a mask, so it's already beyond frustrating when I can't get a mask to seal that worked at my DME. 

Anyway, just not sure where to go from here, especially since I can't exchange this mask since I already did and have tried everything to get a good seal with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Make Leak Advice/Help
I have a nasal mask, I find any blockage in the nasal passage causes it to leak, try clearing nasal passages with saline. It seems to me it needs you lungs to inflate and act as a damper, without this the pressure just builds in the mask until the inevitable leak. The mask shouldn’t need to be very tight, trying to cure a leak by overtightening doesn’t work ask any plumber.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum

We need some help here to help you.  Where is it leaking?  Can you post a daily chart.  (leave a space in the url htt p://imgur.xxxxxx.png) The daily chart will provide info on what you are experiencing.

FYI, Severe Apnea does not mean high pressures.  You are an individual and you pressure needs are determined by your anatomy.  A mild Apnea may require high pressures and a severe apnea may require low pressures.

It sounds like you have done your research but I need to mention the Mask Primer.  

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JonnyCPAP,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the most challenging part of this therapy, so don’t be shy about asking to try as many masks as you need to, ‘till you find one that works well.
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey, hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried the Dreamwear nasal mask? That mask has worked amazingly well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2017, 04:32 AM)Adam* Wrote: I have a nasal mask, I find any blockage in the nasal passage causes it to leak, try clearing nasal passages with saline. It seems to me it needs you lungs to inflate and act as a damper, without this the pressure just builds in the mask until the inevitable leak. The mask shouldn’t need to be very tight, trying to cure a leak by overtightening doesn’t work ask any plumber.

I'll have to try that, I do get randomly stuffy in my nose before bed most nights. 

(09-11-2017, 09:14 AM)bonjour Wrote: Welcome to the forum

We need some help here to help you.  Where is it leaking?  Can you post a daily chart.  (leave a space in the url htt p://imgur.xxxxxx.png) The daily chart will provide info on what you are experiencing.

FYI, Severe Apnea does not mean high pressures.  You are an individual and you pressure needs are determined by your anatomy.  A mild Apnea may require high pressures and a severe apnea may require low pressures.

It sounds like you have done your research but I need to mention the Mask Primer.  

Fred

It leaks from the sides and bottom, but mostly sides it seems like. 

Here's a daily: htt p://take.ms/Sau6r
Not sure if there's a better way to show a daily, just took a screenshot. 

Interesting, good to know, I didn't know that about server apnea and different pressures. 

Read the Mask Primer before, especially the Fitting Mask section, but with no luck. 

(09-11-2017, 04:48 PM)kingstar Wrote: Have you tried the Dreamwear nasal mask? That mask has worked amazingly well for me.

I haven't but it looks really nice and I like the tube on top. I will definitely check that out if I switch to a nasal. Which is my hope.
Post Reply Post Reply
htt p://take.ms/Sau6r works,  I put IMG tags around it.
[Image: Sau6r]

Now you need to enable the event flags, That is on the lower left of the charts, click the dropdown and enable every thing. Also hide the smiley face.

But that is how.
Post Reply Post Reply
My mother struggled with mask leaks for over a year. It was a game changer when I read about mask liners on this forum. It eliminated the trumpet sounding leaks and allowed her to wear the mask for 8+ hrs. A year plus later we have a resurgence of some leak issues that I have posted about. But, bottom line, look into mask liners (like Remzzzs). You can get a sample pack before you buy a month's supply. Not covered by insurance but worth it to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2017, 09:07 PM)bonjour Wrote: htt p://take.ms/Sau6r works,  I put IMG tags around it.

Now you need to enable the event flags, That is on the lower left of the charts, click the dropdown and enable every thing.  Also hide the smiley face.

But that is how.

Thanks, got the flags on now.
htt p://take.ms/otOcx

(09-11-2017, 09:47 PM)regbeach Wrote: My mother struggled with mask leaks for over a year. It was a game changer when I read about mask liners on this forum.  It eliminated the trumpet sounding leaks and allowed her to wear the mask for 8+ hrs.   A year plus later we have a resurgence of some leak issues that I have posted about. But, bottom line, look into mask liners (like Remzzzs). You can get a sample pack before you buy a month's supply.  Not covered by insurance but worth it to sleep.

The Remzzzs liners look really interesting and effective. It's pretty much the only thing I can try at this point so thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 162 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 231 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.