Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Making Other Changes
Making Other Changes
I found out I had OSA after a going to check out my high blood pressure and feeling generally tired/crappy with my GP.

He wanted skip meds and asked I try to loose weight. Dropped weight, started exercising but still was tired. Had the sleep study and got on cpap

Since then I dropped a overall total for almost 40 lbs, workout almost daily with HIIT type crossfit, and bike 20-30miles on the weekend. My blood pressure has dropped back to normal and I feel really good.

Has anyone else made other significant changes in lifestyle/health and seen the benefits?

I stil use the cpap nightly but have skipped about a night a week when I stay at my gf place. She says not only do I not snore (I used to snore a lot) but I make zero noise when I sleep.

My pulmonologist also commented that my apnea was fairly minor (which is interesting because I was so freaking tired before cpap) and if I continue to lower my BMI and stay active I may not need cpap?

Anyone have this experience? I don't mind using cpap but it sure would be nice to go without it!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Making Other Changes
A BIG congrats on your self induced health care.. No one knows your body better then you do, and nobody cares about your body more then you do. Just do it for yourself. Although you may feel fairly confident that you may fore-go the CPAP occasionally, don't let it stray far from your mind, as, it has been proven in your sleep study that you have some night breathing issues.. As an old man (79), I also have a self induced health care program. I work with a few weights and isometrics and also ride a roadie bicycle 50-60 miles a week. I no longer have to take blood pressure meds after taking them for 35 years and my BP is now normally 119/68, with a pulse of 56-59. I don't ever foresee me leaving the CPAP arena however.
Your sleep apnea issues may not necessarily be caused by weight but could be heredity, throat structure or numerous other causes. Stay with your programs and just don't forget the CPAP. I'm sure your GF would be very understanding if you tag it along.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Your post made me feel both inspired and guilty, Cliftonio. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 4 months ago. During the 3 years prior to my diagnosis, I gained about 40 pounds.

I'm in my 50s, so it's going to take some pretty severe calorie reduction and activity increase for me to lose weight. I'm maintaining right now at around 1500 cal/day.

You could always have another sleep study to see if you still have sleep apnea. If that's not an option, you could probably turn your CPAP pressure down to 4 (or the lowest pressure that you can breathe comfortably at) and see what happens. You could also use an oximeter to check your O2 levels if you're sleeping without your APAP.

I have to say that if I thought my sleep apnea might be gone, I'd verify it first, but then I'd dump the xPAP machine, but keep in mind that the apnea could return.

Best of luck to you. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no intentions of stopping cpap until directed by my doctor, and obviously would have a sleep study to back up no longer using it.

I am 42, but I was starting to feel twice my age for quite some time. I have always been active but being active became no fun (if I did something active it might take me two days of sleep to recover). I know some of it was some excessive work stress, coupled with relationship issues and eventual divorce but getting more active, eating better, cpap and dealing with stress better all combined at the same time.

This is my first relationship since being on cpap, so there was some new territory there (but I'm not the bashful type haha)

Gf has no issues with it (she sleeps like a rock), I've set it up a few times at her place but always seem to pass out before putting it on and each time didn't even stir until it was time to get up (need more of a routine when I am there)
Post Reply Post Reply
You might consider getting a wireless sd card (so you don't have to fiddle with the card every day) and start using the SleepyHead software to monitor your CPAP treatment.

Congrats on your progress.

Steve
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good point. Been meaning to try this software. Probably wouldn't check it daily but maybe weekly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 835 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 589 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 173 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 851 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.