Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Making Progress – Welcome Input
RE: Making Progress – Welcome Input
This is a very good example of trial and error within a narrow range of settings to optimize results. There is nothing I can add to the process except congrats on getting dialed in to what works for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just wanted to write a quick update for all of the kind folks who helped me finally "arrive" as a hosehead success story and to encourage any newbie followers of this thread that, with patience, success is within your grasp as well.  I give particular credit to Sleeprider and Ash SF who helped me narrow in on very good results.  Subsequent to my last post, I also tried Fedman's suggestion to increase my minimum pressure by .5 cm to 8.5.  Unfortunately, it did not improve my results.  This is not to say that it wasn't worth trying; it was because one never knows what may work for him or her.  I then tried Cranberry Ray's suggestion to leave the pressure range at 8.0 - 12.0, but switch my Dreamstation APAP AFlex to CFlex and the results were dramatic and immediate.  Here is basically the last 10 day summary:

1.  Average AHI fell from 1.32 to .17!  Centrals have been essentially eliminated, OA reduced to almost nothing and Hypopneas greatly reduced.  RERAs were cut in half with average RDI falling from 1.75 to .45.
2.  Interestingly, average pressure was only 8.18, consistingly barely over the minimum setting.
3.  Aerophasia is essentially gone.  (I use a chinstrap and tape, but have found comfort with them).

My overall sleep quality was about as good as before the change.  Unfortunately, my family experienced a deep tradegy during this time that definately affected sleep for all of us.  So essentially having acceptable quality with better AHI and RDI bodes well for the future as we recover from our loss and pain.  I also was quite congested during this time with a bad cold.  I fell that PAP has and will continue to work well and improve for me and I plan to stay at these settings.  Again, to Sleeprider, ASH SF, Fedman and Cranberry Ray, thank you.  To any readers hoping to achieve success I adise you not to give up, try well considered advice and give each tweak time to work.  My total timeline was 3 months to get where I am; yours may be shorter or longer, but you can do it.  
Best to all of you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations to you RWhipkey. Your story is a fine example of how a beginner can apply a careful measured approach to finding the best treatment pressure for them along with the excellent advice of the experienced folks here.

I will take your message to heart try to follow the same approach. My own struggle is with trying to make changes right away even though I know the theory of allowing time for the changes to take effect. I am going to try to stick to that tenet of giving modifications more time in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm skiing this week and won't be on the forum much, but hearing this kind of success is what makes it all worthwhile for me.

When you're in a good place, pay it forward. Sorry for your loss.

Tom
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very sorry for the tragedy you're dealing with. Hope things get better with time.

Thank you for sharing your story. As Tom said, this is the reason we are all hear, to help each other. Treating OSA is a journey and much easier to navigate when you have so many willing to help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 757 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,353 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 5 398 03-14-2024, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 529 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 163 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 277 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 197 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.