Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Managing Noise from Mouth Breathing
Ohmy 
Managing Noise from Mouth Breathing
Does anyone have a suggestion(s) about how to reduce or stop the (intermittent) noise from mouth breathing that wakes my wife up (but not me, the cpac user)?

I use Resmed 10 with noise cushions.  My events average 2.0.  

It's possible that this occurs more when the pressure rises overtime.  Can I reduce the pressure since my events are so low?

Other options?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Managing Noise from Mouth Breathing
Just wondering, have you tried the technique linked to in my signature?
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a good chin strap or a collar or maybe both.
I take it it is air escaping through your mouth that is the problem?
Air might still escape out of your lips, but at least it should not make a lot of noise unless you are at a high pressure.
Not sure what pressure your machine normally run at but it is set for 4 to 17, it might be when the pressure goes up or when you lie on your back the problem is at its worst.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  I think you are correct.

I did turn down the max pressure to 14 and it seemed to help.

Alan
Post Reply Post Reply
alankittner, your profile doesn't say what machine you're using but does indicate EPR so I urge you to download and use OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/b] to monitor and manage your apnea.

Also I'm concerned about your reducing the pressure without knowing what effect that has on your therapy – it's nice that turning it down seemed to help, but at what cost?  Unfortunately, MyAir does not provide sufficient information to know.  jus' sayin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response.

I use the Resmed AirSense 10.

Yesterday I set up and downloaded Sleepy Head.  I looked at prior data (before making the adjustments a couple days ago) and my # of events average 2.0.

I will recheck the data after a bit more time on my new regimen.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Soft Cervical Collar, Chin strap, tape. If those don't work ear plugs or separate bedrooms.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply!

All appropriate suggestions if I can't make the necessary adjustments through cpap settings.  Right now I'm optimistic as my events and leakage rates are very low and adjustments to presssure might be possible and beneficial without impacting therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2018, 01:10 PM)alankittner Wrote: Does anyone have a suggestion(s) about how to reduce or stop the (intermittent) noise from mouth breathing that wakes my wife up (but not me, the cpac user)?

I use Resmed 10 with noise cushions.  My events average 2.0.  

It's possible that this occurs more when the pressure rises overtime.  Can I reduce the pressure since my events are so low?

Other options?

Thanks in advance.

Seems them ResMed noise cushions aren't worth whatever you paid fer 'em if you still wake up your wife when using them. Or, if she does. 

Sorry...couldn't resist. Big Grin

You have been given the options: tape, strap, or work harder to learn the 'tongue suck' technique and to keep doing it while sleeping.  Good luck with that last one if you're like me.

I open my mouth when I sleep, but it's due to sag.  I don't do much mouth breathing 'normally.'  So, I tried taping my mouth as a first shot at a remedy, and have stuck with it ever since.  I don't get anxious, but will admit to one event where I startled awake and had to rip the tape off because both nostrils were fully shut with internal swelling.  In six months, this has only happened once.  I was due to awaken anyway, so I didn't have to try to go back to sleep.

Taping works.  For me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response - and glad to hear about your success with taping.  (This is next on my list if pressure adjustments don't impact my results.)

What type of tape do you use?  I've seen everything from blue tape, medical tape and SomniFix.

Alan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 0 41 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jonkier
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 202 9 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,341 10 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 164 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Airmini noise question sfr79 39 21,527 04-20-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: scottjenson
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 929 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  managing myself stanleyv28 9 288 04-17-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: stanleyv28

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.