Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Managing Noise from Mouth Breathing
RE: Managing Noise from Mouth Breathing
I have tried white sports tape, the kind you might use to support a wonky ankle (not terribly sticky, but it got me through until I found....) 3M Corp 
Nexcare.  I haven't tried the Somnifix, but those who use it seem pleased with it.

Nexcare is found at virtually all N. American drug stores.  I use the spool-in-a-plastic-cylinder kind, tape being 2.5 cm wide.  I think it's water resistant.

If you decide to give it a try, it's only a very few dollars, maybe $5 for 60 feet or so.  For safety, I fold over about 3 mm at one end to act as a grabbable surface in case I need to get it off easily. Even so, if you really need to, just tighten your lips, open your jaw wide, and you'll separate it from your lips to allow emergency breathing....if it ever comes to that.

Because it's still a water-based adhesive, and because most of us drool a wee bit at least, you want the tape to be adhered a full 12mm past the corners of the mouth.  I have learned that lesson a number of times (well, not really, I guess...) because the shorter tape will pry loose nearest the corners of the mouth and you'll get leakage.

For best results, I run a firm finger tip over the entire surface of the tape, lips pursed, to get a good solid adherence.  I do this a couple of times. This typically lasts me the whole night through with no slippage or separation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 188 1 hour ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,322 1 hour ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 163 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Airmini noise question sfr79 39 21,517 04-20-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: scottjenson
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 927 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  managing myself stanleyv28 9 287 04-17-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: stanleyv28
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,685 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.