Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Managing expectations
Managing expectations
Was it just my particular combination of doctor/equipment supplier that did a poor job of managing my expectations, or is this common? I was led to believe I would strap on a mask and within a matter of days would be feeling like a million bucks. Instead, after having the equipment for nearly two months, I'm still trying to adjust to sleeping with the mask and hose and to find settings that have the potential to provide a good night's sleep. It's very disappointing.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Managing expectations
No your not alone. Take a look around at this web site. It wouldn't be here if it was easy. Be happy in knowing you have many people here to share with.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It can be easy, but for many it isn't.

There are many many success stories here. For some it is just a matter of getting their settings fine tuned. But there are plenty here that needed more than a regular cpap could provide.

What is really exciting is reading the cases of people who've gone from desperation to getting their life back, all because of the generosity of the gurus here who are willing to help guide them to success.

We're really fortunate to have ApneaBoard as a resource.
Post Reply Post Reply
I echo the previous posters.

However, have you posted your SleepyHead charts and got input on your settings? I recommend it. That may be the reason you aren't feeling refreshed.

I don't know about you, but I would be suffocating with the settings you show in your side panel. I definitely would not be enjoying life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, this is a fantastic resource.

I called my DME today to order supplies and the woman asked me if I was using the machine. I said yes. Then she asked me if I didn't just love it. She was practically gushing. I was thinking...are you insane?
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2018, 07:51 PM)paulag1955 Wrote: Yes, this is a fantastic resource.

I called my DME today to order supplies and the woman asked me if I was using the machine. I said yes. Then she asked me if I didn't just love it. She was practically gushing. I was thinking...are you insane?

Nearly spewed water across my laptop! LOL!

It sounds (to my ear) like they are using a script to influence you into loving it.

[not that I'm suspicious of people, or anything Rolleyes ]
Post Reply Post Reply
HalfAsleep, Paula's other thread is http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-questions
Post Reply Post Reply
Kiwii...right?!? It was like she was invested in me liking it. It was kind of bizarre.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
HalfAsleep, I do not feel as though I'm suffocating and lowering my pressure to seven significantly improved my AHI. Last night, however, I set my machine in CPAP mode with the pressure at 8 and a ramp time of 20 minutes and had my lowest AHI yet. Now if only I could figure out a way to actually sleep on my stomach, or roll over from side to side without actually waking up to manage the hose.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply
OK please don't shoot the messenger. IMO more or less everyone here on Apnea Board has struggled to use their PAP machine at one time or another. What is natural about a blower and hose clipped to a plastic mask strapped to their nose and mouth, forcibly adding pressurized air down their throat? Some will adjust quick and others just won't. But with perseverance, adaption will come. NEVER quit.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 92 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  managing flow limit issues for a newish user? ja989 2 607 09-17-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ja989
  Managing Flow Limits TexasDon 4 878 03-05-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: TexasDon
  [Treatment] Managing flow limitations fishfinderG 21 3,569 09-07-2022, 08:23 PM
Last Post: fishfinderG
  Reasonable expectations for numbers adm1jtg 9 971 04-16-2022, 05:08 PM
Last Post: adm1jtg
  Advice for managing humidity please rachel9 3 717 01-18-2022, 10:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.