Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Managing expectations
RE: Managing expectations
People use a hose buddy (a hose hanger) to keep the hose overhead so they can roll over. Sleeping front down seems to be a 'nother whole problem altogether.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula:  I am new to this thing too.  No one told me that there would be such an adjustment phase.  I thought you strap it on, go to sleep and get better quickly.  Yikes.  Not true.  But, I do think that if I can get it figured out it will be really beneficial.  So I keep at it.  I also think that this group is critical to success.  I doubt that someone at the doctor's office is going to help with all of the tweaks that need to be made to make it successful.  Hang in there!

Peggy
Post Reply Post Reply
Three gals from Washington...olywa, kiwii, and me! Awesome!
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m a month into this and I am struggling with leaks. So I can relate.

This forum has been great to learn about my condition.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a little over a month in and I'm starting to see more leaks, too. I think I'm moving around more and dislodging my mask when I do so.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2018, 11:57 PM)paulag1955 Wrote: I'm a little over a month in and I'm starting to see more leaks, too. I think I'm moving around more and dislodging my mask when I do so.

This was my big problem.  I clip the main hose to my Pillow or PJs and that prevents the hose from pulling the mask.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2018, 11:48 PM)paulag1955 Wrote: Three gals from Washington...olywa, kiwii, and me! Awesome!

There goes the Neighborhood!   Oh-jeez
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Two years in for me and still improving. 

Remember, awake on your back, you will get low AHI and minimal leaks. Once you start sleeping and get relaxed, every thing gets complicated. You need to retrain your body and that takes time. 

Hang in there, it gets better. For some it is quick and some it takes time but it still gets better.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
While we're talking about sleep, anybody want a coffee? lots-o-coffee

OK again it just takes an adjustment period for most of us to get used to the machine and all the mask fitting and adjustments that are IMO required to be successful. That doesn't even begin to include the setting adjustments for the machine for successful treatment. Not implying any here are quitters, but just remember quitters won't win the battle against personal sleep apnea therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No one is talking about quitting. I can be quite determined. I'm just saying...a heads up from either the doctor or DME would have led to less discouragement. It seems like, in the long run, this would minimize CPAP failures.
Paula

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  managing myself stanleyv28 9 244 Yesterday, 03:40 PM
Last Post: stanleyv28
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 8 243 04-12-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 143 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  managing flow limit issues for a newish user? ja989 2 631 09-17-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ja989
  Managing Flow Limits TexasDon 4 914 03-05-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: TexasDon
  [Treatment] Managing flow limitations fishfinderG 21 3,622 09-07-2022, 08:23 PM
Last Post: fishfinderG
  Reasonable expectations for numbers adm1jtg 9 1,013 04-16-2022, 05:08 PM
Last Post: adm1jtg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.