Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Managing the Sweet Spot
Managing the Sweet Spot
I just reached my 104th day of therapy, and I met with my Dr. for compliance visit requested by Aetna for final payment to the DME for the machine. I went over the Data form sleepy head and he agreed that we have identified the "sweet spot" he advised me to leave the machine set at it current settings, until the machine breaks.

ThanksI-love-Apnea-Board
"Mission Success" I now can sleep on my back with the APAP, an and AHI <1 .... The Dr. was only expecting <6
Grouphug3Grouphug3

Any thoughts on managing the "sweet spot"?

I have attached a image from the comparative analysis I reviewed with my Dr. comparing the first 5 days of therapy with the and the last 5 days of therapy. I clipped it down because all the data was to big for the forums attachment allocation
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Managing the Sweet Spot
[Image: party.gif]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
CongratsCongratsCongrats
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's terrific news, Orangebear. I know I'll give a big "Whew!" when I finally get to that point.

I'm giving your doctor a big frown, though, for being willing to settle for a nightly average 5 AHI and also for suggesting that your pressure needs are fixed in stone and that you'll never, ever need to change the pressure settings again.

It sounds like you can relax for now and enjoy some good sleep while also treating your apnea effectively. I imagine it has often seemed like those two things were incompatible goals during your first few months of APAP use.

I would imagine staying in the "sweet spot" will involve keeping an eye on the data and making small changes to your pressure settings if and when they are needed. Sounds like things are going to be a lot calmer in the immediate future.

I don't know if you've used a pulse oximeter. If not, that could be something to add in the future for occasional checks on how well your therapy is working, depending on how you're feeling. If you're feeling terrific, I probably wouldn't bother.

Congratulations! I confess that I'm envious, but I know that you've done the work to get where you are. I still have work to do.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's very encouraging to hear of your success, Orangebear. I've yet to find the sweet spot, although my numbers on ASV are much better than they were on APAP. I have no idea what they were for the previous nine years on CPAP, but I imagine they started out well and deteriorated.

At any rate, your story gives me hope!
Post Reply Post Reply
My "sweetspot" so far appears to be AHI=8.1... Sad

Congrats on your success!
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
That's good news Orangebear,

As far as managing the "sweet spot", all you can do is look at your data on a regular basis.
If your AHI starts to inch up, then look to see what might be causing it.

Mine goes up and down, but still stays fairly low. There are so many variables that affect our sleep, like eating too late, not having a regular schedule, drinking too much, stress (job or family) and many of the different medications we take.

Just don't stress over the little things in life that don't really matter. Take care of you. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 0rangebear,
GREAT JOB!
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2016, 09:53 AM)green wings Wrote: That's terrific news, Orangebear. I know I'll give a big "Whew!" when I finally get to that point.

I'm giving your doctor a big frown, though, for being willing to settle for a nightly average 5 AHI and also for suggesting that your pressure needs are fixed in stone and that you'll never, ever need to change the pressure settings again.

It sounds like you can relax for now and enjoy some good sleep while also treating your apnea effectively. I imagine it has often seemed like those two things were incompatible goals during your first few months of APAP use.

I would imagine staying in the "sweet spot" will involve keeping an eye on the data and making small changes to your pressure settings if and when they are needed. Sounds like things are going to be a lot calmer in the immediate future.

I don't know if you've used a pulse oximeter. If not, that could be something to add in the future for occasional checks on how well your therapy is working, depending on how you're feeling. If you're feeling terrific, I probably wouldn't bother.

Congratulations! I confess that I'm envious, but I know that you've done the work to get where you are. I still have work to do.
Hi green wings,
You’ll get there, just keep on going, I know you will, I just want to encourage you.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 105 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
Question How to spot a shady DME? James87 9 494 12-22-2023, 06:16 PM
Last Post: nkasoff
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  managing flow limit issues for a newish user? ja989 2 607 09-17-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ja989
  Managing Flow Limits TexasDon 4 877 03-05-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: TexasDon
  [Treatment] Managing flow limitations fishfinderG 21 3,564 09-07-2022, 08:23 PM
Last Post: fishfinderG
  how do you spot hypopneas in OSCAR? WarmHoney3650 9 1,857 02-15-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.