Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mandibular Advancement Devices
Mandibular Advancement Devices
Does anyone have experience with these devices for controlling sleep apnea? Are they preferable to masks and pumps?
I have the following "gear" ---- 
AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine with HumidAir
AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow Mask
SoClean 2 CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mandibular Advancement Devices
Never tried one, but I have been told by a few that have, they said they were very sore in the jaw and the teeth.
None of them continued to use one after a good try.
These were fitted by a dentist and not the type you buy on the Internet.
I only know of one person that has continued to use one, they were Mild OSA, it kept them going, but they made a huge effort to loose weight.
As far as I know they lost a lot of weight, but still use the MAD device. It worked for them, but they did loose a lot of weight.
They said they would have rather used a XPAP machine, but the question is would they have made the effort to loose the weight if they had?
Anyway, not seen the person for a while. Their main complaint was the pain they were in at the start of using the MAD device.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2017, 08:45 AM)BlinkyGeorgia Wrote: Does anyone have experience with these devices for controlling sleep apnea? Are they preferable to masks and pumps?
I have the following "gear" ---- 
AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine with HumidAir
AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow Mask

For the overwhelming majority of people, no, oral devices are not even close to providing the same level of effectiveness.

For some people they may work, but even then it's doubtful that they will work as well as CPAP. For this reason they are relegated to a secondary status, reserved for people who just can't tolerate CPAP therapy. Oral devices also don't provide data so you don't know if the therapy is effective, and you can't make adjustments to improve the effectiveness of your therapy, either.

Quote:SoClean 2 CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer

As long as you don't use this device as a substitute for cleaning with soap and hot water, it probably can't do any harm, although it may cause some mask parts such as silicone cushions to deteriorate faster. There is no clinical evidence, though, that it offers any advantage.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!  There are several threads discussing these, here are two:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...+Appliance
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...+Appliance

Use the search function at the bottom if you want to find more.

The machine that you have is a far, far, far better choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used one of these devices one night. I could barely get my jaw closed or open the next morning. The pain was excruciating.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm wary of them. Even if I could stand the pain, I would be concerned that using it might lead to TMJ issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BlinkyGeorgia,
You would be better served by continuing CPAP therapy.
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2017, 11:56 AM)skylark Wrote: I used one of these devices one night. I could barely get my jaw closed or open the next morning. The pain was excruciating.

Ditto.

I tried using one for a couple of weeks.  It did not stop my snoring, I would occasionally spit it out while mouth-breathing, my wife was worried that I would aspirate it, and as time went on, the jaw issues in the morning grew worse and worse until it got to the point that I could not chew food until noon.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My late husband used a sleep dental device, and it did not really work for very long.

Once he would get up in the morning, he would have to chew on another appliance to re-align his jaw. I have TMJ, so I knew that this would not be an option for me.

If you decide to try this path, please make sure you see a dentist who specializes in these devices!
Post Reply Post Reply
My son swears by this kind of device. He's been using one for 1 yr plus. Some of these devices look like instruments of torture!
Thanks for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,954 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 17,085 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 250 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Equipment] Philips Replacement Devices - No PREHEAT or AUTO-OFF malabarflash 0 247 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: malabarflash
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 347 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Bimaxillary jaw advancement: I'm the freak outlier! Robbos 3 635 09-24-2023, 09:26 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Equipment] Any experiences with Ventmed VM8 or other Ventmed devices? Bhante 2 572 08-13-2023, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Bhante

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.