Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Many Thanks
Many Thanks
I had a fairly bad experience with a sleep doctor; he pretty much served only as a gateway to insurance coverage for an APAP machine and handed me off to a giant non-caring corporate driven home health care unit that is just terrible. Fortunately, you guys were here, and the doctor did one thing right, he prescribed a top end unit - the Resmed Airsense 10.

With no direction (a DVD with smiling people and bad music) I was given the wrong mask type and an APAP machine set to 5 to 20 cmH2O. I found out about the clinical menu access from your site after I blew up like a blimp and had severe stomach cramps. Then I discovered Sleepyhead software, SleepMaster, and FlashPap. I quickly got hold of a Toshiba flashair card and was able to set it up initially using SleepMaster software (great for setup), but I soon switched over to FlashPap for everyday use. Every morning, I run FlashPap and Sleepyhead on my Linux computer. FlashPap scans and copies the latest Flashair SD card entries, and then it is just a matter of a simple data import data into Sleepyhead. Both pieces of software run wonderfully under Linux - SleepyHead needs Wine of course.

I started low on the APAP setting and slowly increased it over a monthly period to a comfortably high setting with an acceptable AHI (I'm staying below 3). I found that it is necessary to go slow on settings changes, because it appears to be quite normal to have a variation of +/- 2 AHI on any given night with the same setting. I suppose it's a combination of daily diet changes and stress levels.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank the software guys that have contributed to this forum and the rest of you for all the valuable information. I have used the machine every night for the last three months, and I can plot tons of data and see my trends. Beautiful stuff, free, and it's even Linux usable!

One thing I am still wondering about is people (like myself) with GERDS and whether we are more susceptible to bloating at high APAP pressures. The APAP high/low range along with the EPR setting seems to help considerably with the bloating problems, but it appears I can't tolerate much more than an APAP high of 13 cmH2O (about where I am now). I suspect as I age, the AHI will continue to creep up to unacceptable levels past this comfortable pressure setting, and I not sure what I can do as a counter.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Many Thanks
(12-29-2015, 10:50 AM)elmerF Wrote: One thing I am still wondering about is people (like myself) with GERDS and whether we are more susceptible to bloating at high APAP pressures. The APAP high/low range along with the EPR setting seems to help considerably with the bloating problems, but it appears I can't tolerate much more than an APAP high of 13 cmH2O (about where I am now). I suspect as I age, the AHI will continue to creep up to unacceptable levels past this comfortable pressure setting, and I not sure what I can do as a counter.

I have GERD and seems like I pop ranitidine like skittles. So far I have not had aerophagia from PAP. I don't think having GERD increases susceptibility to aerophagia. My reasoning is the esophagus has sphincter muscles at both ends. GERD is usually a result of a problem with the lower sphincter muscle in the esophagus.

You seem like you have problems at both ends? Swallowing air and GERD. Are you being treated for GERD? Some people have posted that elevating the head of the bed 4 to 6 inches, not just your head helps with aerophagia and GERD. I can't imagine that being very comfortable though. Other ways to try to reduce GERD:

Avoiding alcohol, chocolate and caffeine
Avoiding overeating
Eating or drinking nothing two to three hours before bed
Avoiding greasy, fatty foods
Losing weight
Antacids to neutralize excess stomach acid

None of those are appealing to me so I live with GERD. Also none of those will necessarily prevent aerophagia if the upper sphincter muscle in the esophagus has an issue.

This is definitely something you should discuss with your GP and possibly get a referral to a gastroenterologist for your lower esophagus to treat your GERD and an otolaryngologists or ENT for upper aero-digestive tract issues.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with you on the fact that this is the place to find out how to help yourself. I have had issues with air bloating, seems to have lessened with time. Also I did adjust pressures down when it made sense and that may have helped. My gerd/reflux all but went away with the use of apap. So I may be one of the lucky ones but I hope you get some relief.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2015, 10:50 AM)elmerF Wrote: One thing I am still wondering about is people (like myself) with GERDS and whether we are more susceptible to bloating at high APAP pressures. The APAP high/low range along with the EPR setting seems to help considerably with the bloating problems, but it appears I can't tolerate much more than an APAP high of 13 cmH2O (about where I am now). I suspect as I age, the AHI will continue to creep up to unacceptable levels past this comfortable pressure setting, and I not sure what I can do as a counter.

Hi elmerF,
Usually apneas are worse back sleeping. You may consider side sleeping to see if it makes a difference for you. That may lower the apap pressure required thereby reducing aerophagia. Some use tennis balls sewn into the back of a tshirt to prevent back sleeping. I have to side sleep for those reasons. Hope it helps.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2015, 10:50 AM)elmerF Wrote: .... Then I discovered Sleepyhead software, SleepMaster, and FlashPap. I quickly got hold of a Toshiba flashair card and was able to set it up initially using SleepMaster software (great for setup), but I soon switched over to FlashPap for everyday use. Every morning, I run FlashPap and Sleepyhead on my Linux computer. FlashPap scans and copies the latest Flashair SD card entries, and then it is just a matter of a simple data import data into Sleepyhead....

Thanks elmerF for the heads up on FlashPap. Lot easier than pulling out the SD card everyday to look at the data.

Walt

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2016, 01:23 PM)Apneaman1 Wrote: Thanks elmerF for the heads up on FlashPap. Lot easier than pulling out the SD card everyday to look at the data.

Walt

yeah flashpap is the bomb... sleepmaster is another.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.