Poll: Can Marijuana have a positive affect on sleep/apnea?
This poll is closed.
Oh no you didn't just say that?!! 14.29% 1 14.29%
Awww ya, excuse me while I touch the sky! 85.71% 6 85.71%
Total 7 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Marijuana vs Apnea link
cowboy1970 Online

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Puritan Bennett Breeze
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: around 11 now (2/20/13)
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Try not to think about a spider crawling up your nose from inside your tubing as your drift off. lol

Sex: Male

Marijuana vs Apnea link
Hi, I live in Washington state where they have legalized recreational use of marijuana. (and our state government has shown what greedy tax levying whores they are)

I am wondering if there are any people using cpap therapy that are also marijuana users. Long term or short term, I am wondering if/how this affects your apnea. Please include a brief description of your intake method.

I don't currently partake (never have). I have a cousin who swears by all the healing properties of cannabis related products. There does seem to be a lot of material coming out about it helping certain conditions.

Does anyone here have their own personal stories (or those of a close friend hehe) to share?

Just to kinda start this off...

I realize that there are now many ways to partake without smoking it. Vaporizers, oils, and so forth that can reduce or eliminate the negative smoking aspects that I could see affecting apnea.

(I apologize in advance if this issue has been already been completely discussed to death in a recent soul sucking decent into heated debate)

I have no pro or con agenda and would actually like to hear both sides. While I don't consider myself a dirty hippy, I do take vitamins and supplements and do believe in the affects of other holistic therapies.

I will start things off right with joking about filling my humidifier with my cousin's bong water.
01-25-2014 02:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

RE: Marijuana vs Apnea link
(01-25-2014 02:03 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote:  I will start things off right with joking about filling my humidifier with my cousin's bong water.
Turning this thing into a super-bong was the first thing that occurred to me when I read your post Cowboy, how funny...

I haven't done grass in lots of years, so it will be interesting to see what the class has to say on this.

Oh, and "go Seahawks," .......next year. This year? Go Broncos!!!!
01-25-2014 02:25 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

I have zero history or knowledge on the subject myself. Way too many other issues in my life to add something that's both illegal and uncontrolled (where I have lived).

I am personally not against recreational drug use, but my fear/concern is never knowing the quality/if it's been cut or laced/ and those kind of issues.

Off the cuff, the 'smoking' of pot probably has some/many/few of the negatives of tobacco. Other than that, I have no clues.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
01-25-2014 03:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bladskinner Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed 9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Q
Humidifier: Resumed H5 (disttilled) top up ,dish soap
CPAP Pressure: 11

Other Comments:

It would seem to me that your throat and mouth would become even more dry. But would make you forget you have a mask on. LOL
01-25-2014 05:36 PM
mdh235 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed F10
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12.4 - 12.8

Other Comments:

(01-25-2014 05:36 PM)Bladskinner Wrote:  It would seem to me that your throat and mouth would become even more dry. But would make you forget you have a mask on. LOL

Right up to the point you get up to eat some muncihes and can't figure out where that force field that's blocking access to your mouth came from.
01-25-2014 07:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
victor hegemony Offline

Members

Machine: unsure
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 20
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
mdh235 - that was funny.

I've had apnea my whole life. I've been a regular smoker of cannabis for decades. Cannabis didn't change apnea for the better or make it worse.
Most important: Cannabis does not affect the CNS esp. cardiopulmonary regions so it is safe for people with concerns about respiratory system functioning. The receptor sites aren't there. Unlike alcohol or opiates which can affect the system and cause apnea.
Fungicides and insecticides are a very real hazard to the health of a marijuana smoker. I have seen products in "grow shops" which are clearly labeled for use on ornamental plants only, yet the result is going to be consumed! Scary. Organic Only Please. It's not that hard.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 11:21 AM by victor hegemony.)
01-26-2014 11:20 AM
GRak Offline

Members

Machine: F&P Icon Auto
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Optilife
Humidifier: F&P Icon Auto
CPAP Pressure: 4 - 18 auto
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

I personally wouldn't over do it (haven't smoked for decades), but from what others have said it may be OK. However, I would think the risk would increase in proportion to other health problems you may have in addition to apnea. I have coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, and 66yo - so I don't plan on smoking any thing soon except for baby back ribs Big Grin
01-30-2014 10:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Galactus Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Phillips Respironics System One PRS1 DS760P Auto BiPAP
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier + Climate Line
CPAP Pressure: E/I 13/20 PS 4/7 BiFlex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Sleep can be a good thing.

Please send over a few pounds of that legal recreational MJ, I will test it scientifically and get back to you with an answer Big Grin Really I will, scouts honor!

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
01-30-2014 11:56 PM
Kate Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP S
Mask Make & Model: Philips Resperonics FitLife
Humidifier: ResMed S5i
CPAP Pressure: 8/4

Other Comments: VPAP always makes me feel like my avatar.

Sex: Female

(01-26-2014 11:20 AM)victor hegemony Wrote:  mdh235 - that was funny.

I've had apnea my whole life. I've been a regular smoker of cannabis for decades. Cannabis didn't change apnea for the better or make it worse.
Most important: Cannabis does not affect the CNS esp. cardiopulmonary regions so it is safe for people with concerns about respiratory system functioning. The receptor sites aren't there. Unlike alcohol or opiates which can affect the system and cause apnea.
Fungicides and insecticides are a very real hazard to the health of a marijuana smoker. I have seen products in "grow shops" which are clearly labeled for use on ornamental plants only, yet the result is going to be consumed! Scary. Organic Only Please. It's not that hard.

I really appreciate the input because I have a cousin in Washington state who I am going to visit. I have considered using cannabis to lower my pain medication that I use for chronic pain from a type of inflammatory arthritis. The pain medication is slowly killing me.

Thanks for the information and the poll. Nice to know that it won't affect apneas.

Kate

:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
01-31-2014 02:12 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(01-25-2014 02:03 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote:  Long term or short term, I am wondering if/how this affects your apnea.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-treatment
01-31-2014 02:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Link for Zonk PaytonA 17 2,703 06-27-2015 11:54 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  The thoughts that I have on Apnea Board, and two other Apnea/PAP related forum ares. BiLevel48 16 4,516 04-30-2015 07:27 AM
Last Post: AlanE
Gross Resmed s9 I want live data link to computer vicpete 7 1,802 08-12-2014 09:07 AM
Last Post: robysue
  Link for setting pressure on Resmed Autoset S9 Gabby 47 8,266 08-09-2014 06:36 AM
Last Post: Gabby
  [News] Marijuana Linked with Impaired Sleep Quality ApneaNews 8 1,899 07-03-2014 09:15 PM
Last Post: retired_guy
  I feel like I lost the fight last nigjht! new link tired57 11 2,530 04-01-2014 06:45 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Data link question justMongo 10 2,691 09-12-2013 11:16 AM
Last Post: justMongo