Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Can Marijuana have a positive affect on sleep/apnea?
This poll is closed.
Oh no you didn't just say that?!!
14.29%
1 14.29%
Awww ya, excuse me while I touch the sky!
85.71%
6 85.71%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Marijuana vs Apnea link
Marijuana vs Apnea link
Hi, I live in Washington state where they have legalized recreational use of marijuana. (and our state government has shown what greedy tax levying whores they are)

I am wondering if there are any people using cpap therapy that are also marijuana users. Long term or short term, I am wondering if/how this affects your apnea. Please include a brief description of your intake method.

I don't currently partake (never have). I have a cousin who swears by all the healing properties of cannabis related products. There does seem to be a lot of material coming out about it helping certain conditions.

Does anyone here have their own personal stories (or those of a close friend hehe) to share?

Just to kinda start this off...

I realize that there are now many ways to partake without smoking it. Vaporizers, oils, and so forth that can reduce or eliminate the negative smoking aspects that I could see affecting apnea.

(I apologize in advance if this issue has been already been completely discussed to death in a recent soul sucking decent into heated debate)

I have no pro or con agenda and would actually like to hear both sides. While I don't consider myself a dirty hippy, I do take vitamins and supplements and do believe in the affects of other holistic therapies.

I will start things off right with joking about filling my humidifier with my cousin's bong water.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Marijuana vs Apnea link
(01-25-2014, 02:03 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote: I will start things off right with joking about filling my humidifier with my cousin's bong water.
Turning this thing into a super-bong was the first thing that occurred to me when I read your post Cowboy, how funny...

I haven't done grass in lots of years, so it will be interesting to see what the class has to say on this.

Oh, and "go Seahawks," .......next year. This year? Go Broncos!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have zero history or knowledge on the subject myself. Way too many other issues in my life to add something that's both illegal and uncontrolled (where I have lived).

I am personally not against recreational drug use, but my fear/concern is never knowing the quality/if it's been cut or laced/ and those kind of issues.

Off the cuff, the 'smoking' of pot probably has some/many/few of the negatives of tobacco. Other than that, I have no clues.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
It would seem to me that your throat and mouth would become even more dry. But would make you forget you have a mask on. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 05:36 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: It would seem to me that your throat and mouth would become even more dry. But would make you forget you have a mask on. LOL

Right up to the point you get up to eat some muncihes and can't figure out where that force field that's blocking access to your mouth came from.
Post Reply Post Reply
mdh235 - that was funny.

I've had apnea my whole life. I've been a regular smoker of cannabis for decades. Cannabis didn't change apnea for the better or make it worse.
Most important: Cannabis does not affect the CNS esp. cardiopulmonary regions so it is safe for people with concerns about respiratory system functioning. The receptor sites aren't there. Unlike alcohol or opiates which can affect the system and cause apnea.
Fungicides and insecticides are a very real hazard to the health of a marijuana smoker. I have seen products in "grow shops" which are clearly labeled for use on ornamental plants only, yet the result is going to be consumed! Scary. Organic Only Please. It's not that hard.
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally wouldn't over do it (haven't smoked for decades), but from what others have said it may be OK. However, I would think the risk would increase in proportion to other health problems you may have in addition to apnea. I have coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, and 66yo - so I don't plan on smoking any thing soon except for baby back ribs Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Please send over a few pounds of that legal recreational MJ, I will test it scientifically and get back to you with an answer Big Grin Really I will, scouts honor!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 11:20 AM)victor hegemony Wrote: mdh235 - that was funny.

I've had apnea my whole life. I've been a regular smoker of cannabis for decades. Cannabis didn't change apnea for the better or make it worse.
Most important: Cannabis does not affect the CNS esp. cardiopulmonary regions so it is safe for people with concerns about respiratory system functioning. The receptor sites aren't there. Unlike alcohol or opiates which can affect the system and cause apnea.
Fungicides and insecticides are a very real hazard to the health of a marijuana smoker. I have seen products in "grow shops" which are clearly labeled for use on ornamental plants only, yet the result is going to be consumed! Scary. Organic Only Please. It's not that hard.

I really appreciate the input because I have a cousin in Washington state who I am going to visit. I have considered using cannabis to lower my pain medication that I use for chronic pain from a type of inflammatory arthritis. The pain medication is slowly killing me.

Thanks for the information and the poll. Nice to know that it won't affect apneas.

Kate

:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 02:03 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote: Long term or short term, I am wondering if/how this affects your apnea.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-treatment

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,398 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Please help me diagnose this ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet noise - YouTube link added UncollapseMeThroat 28 5,999 03-18-2022, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Sunnyside
  Link between pressure setting and periodic breathing? daryl314 7 1,235 03-08-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,585 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.