Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mark's excellent adventure with a sleep doc or how I am going to kill myself ...
Mark's excellent adventure with a sleep doc or how I am going to kill myself ...
Hi folks been a while which is great news inasmuch as what I have learned here has made my life so much better and I am out and about actually doing things Thanks

On to the subject.

After obsessing the subject of OSA for months, mostly here, I bought a machine and began self treatment. Best thing I ever did. If I look at my first posts I'm surprised my crabby donkey wasn't ran off Too-funny Out of curiosity I went to a sleep doc to see if he had anything to offer. He insists my self treatment is going to damage my lungs with too high a pressure. Being respectful of his many years of experience I agreed to try it his way at lower pressure and straight CPAP (and I have three times) and have each felt worse. Return of GERD, sinus pain and coughing, tired and crabby in the morning. (so sayeth my wife anyway Oh-jeez) He also blows smoke telling me I am very intelligent and impressed with my research and understanding of the subject but I am at risk from the high pressures I am using. However when I ask how high a pressure is too high I cannot get a straight answer. So I come here to research how high is too high and I find this thread; http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...h+pressure
Making a long story I have concluded he is just yanking my chain to show this smart ass who thinks he can manage his own therapy without a high priest of sleep medicine. Needless to say I won't be returning.

Thanks for listening Sleep-well
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mark's excellent adventure with a sleep doc or how I am going to kill myself ...
Did the Doc suggest a sleep study to confirm settings?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mark's excellent adventure with a sleep doc or how I am going to kill myself ...
You have a bilevel, not a ventilator. As long as you stay under 20, you can't hurt your lungs. What drugs does this doctor take??

Anything else we can do to help, just let us know. And if you blow up like a balloon, just tie a rope to your foot and anchor yourself to a cinder block or something until it wears off.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As long as you're reasonably healthy, a CPAP or bilevel machine cannot damage your lungs. You get 18 cmH2O of pressure while diving at snorkel depth
A SCUBA diver gets far more pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our 760 PR S1 that we both use is pretty advanced technology. So too is Sleepyhead. That combination should give us the ongoing summaries of which pressures are working out the best. Add to that this absolutely powerful resource forum that improves lives (probably even saved some), and we'll have an improved quality of life. Of course there's no substitute for an on-call personal expert, but you and me both don't have that luxury.

I've been away from the board for a bit perhaps a result of becoming more stable and routine with my daily cpap use. I now realize how important it is to stay connected, both researching and advising others.

I'm continually impressed and excited to see how the resources, aids and tools continue to grow from this board. Wow. It's feels like my secret team behind me cheering me on to survive another week with this darned curse called sleep apnea.

Keep on going strong! ...and please share your tips and tricks that might inspire and help others.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark! good to see you are well sir. Trust your instincts.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to provide another data point, I did the full in hospital sleep lab about a month ago and was diagnosed with OSA (over 100 events/hour). They have my machine set to 16.0 EPAP 20.0 IPAP. Has not caused me any problems, events < 5/hour most nights.
I feel like I am waking up from a coma.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2015, 08:09 AM)speedy Wrote: Just to provide another data point, I did the full in hospital sleep lab about a month ago and was diagnosed with OSA (over 100 events/hour). They have my machine set to 16.0 EPAP 20.0 IPAP. Has not caused me any problems, events < 5/hour most nights.
I feel like I am waking up from a coma.

Speedy - I like the description off your last sentence. That is exactly how I felt when I first started cpap therapy back in 2009. Prior to therapy and during my initial sleep study I had 139 events per hour and I guess the doctor thought that was too many, so he ordered a 2nd sleep study several nights later. During the 2nd study I had 169 events so they cut the study short, sent me home and ordered a machine for me to be delivered to my home. Glad you are doing well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2015, 10:18 PM)Stumbonie Wrote: Did the Doc suggest a sleep study to confirm settings?

Had one yrs ago but too stubborn too to want to wear a mask. Yes totally stupid and I caused myself a lot of hurt! In fact it is now obvious I suffered from OSA at least since my teenage years some 45 yrs ago. Finally I just went out and bought a machine out of pocket after my total collapse. GP was quite willing to write me a newer Rx even though the old ones were still valid.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2015, 07:42 AM)AlanE Wrote: Mark! good to see you are well sir. Trust your instincts.

Old (well ancient) motor house is being rehabbed parallel to house house rehab and should be moved to PG area next month if it makes the 1000 mi trip.

Must get ourselves to the Celtic Ray and raise a pint :grin: Cool CPAP night at the Celtic Ray? I wonder how many would attend Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 855 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  BoxcarPete: An Adventure in Fine-Tuning BoxcarPete 32 1,552 12-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Waking up at 1 hour mark Brucpap 3 632 04-09-2023, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Brucpap

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.