Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Advice
Mask Advice
I am thinking of going back to a full face mask and was wanting some recommendations. Something that won't break the bank maybe. I looked at a F&P Forma. I can pick it up for less than $60.00 if I buy the mask and head gear separately.
You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1778
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Advice
Masks are so individual and what works for me may not work for you.

I can tell you the ffm that I tried and did not work and they are the Quattro FX, Mirage Quattro and Amara Gel. FFM tend to leak more.

I am now using a wisp nasal mask and it is working well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 09:34 AM)me50 Wrote: Masks are so individual and what works for me may not work for you.

I can tell you the ffm that I tried and did not work and they are the Quattro FX, Mirage Quattro and Amara Gel. FFM tend to leak more.

Well, I'm using a nasal mask as well. I think that's what the problem is. My nasal passages are becoming obstructed at night, well really all the time. I don't think I'm getting the full benefit because of that reason. I love the mask I have now, but I can't get my sinuses cleared up.
You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your Government.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1778
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 09:52 AM)Patrick_Henry Wrote:
(01-20-2014, 09:34 AM)me50 Wrote: Masks are so individual and what works for me may not work for you.

Well, I'm using a nasal mask as well. I think that's what the problem is. My nasal passages are becoming obstructed at night, well really all the time. I don't think I'm getting the full benefit because of that reason. I love the mask I have now, but I can't get my sinuses cleared up.

there is a lot of info here on how other members handle sinus issues. I think one mentioned was a nelimed or something similar. I use Patanase for a stopped up nose. Also, crank the humidifier up and maybe the temp on your humidifier too and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 10:00 AM)me50 Wrote:

there is a lot of info here on how other members handle sinus issues. I think one mentioned was a nelimed or something similar. I use Patanase for a stopped up nose. Also, crank the humidifier up and maybe the temp on your humidifier too and see if that helps.
I've been there and done that with the neilmed, I have one. It's just a netty pot that you flush your sinuses with. It didn't work for me, the only thing I've found so far that works is nasal spray. The doctor keeps telling me that it's bad for me. But it's the only thing I've found that works. But even that is just temporary, thanks for the advice though!

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1778
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 09:52 AM)Patrick_Henry Wrote: My nasal passages are becoming obstructed at night, well really all the time.
Is it both nostrils? at times I wake up during the night with one nostril blocked, feel not getting enough air to breathe.

Read chapter 5 about nasal cycle http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 04:40 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-20-2014, 09:52 AM)Patrick_Henry Wrote: My nasal passages are becoming obstructed at night, well really all the time.
Is it both nostrils? at times I wake up during the night with one nostril blocked, feel not getting enough air to breathe.

Read chapter 5 about nasal cycle http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose

"Fourth, try to avoid drinking alcohol close to bedtime."
Dang mate, you're KILLING me!Laugh-a-lot
I really don't know to be honest with you. Sometimes it's one side, sometimes it's both. I just think my body has changed over the years and things that used to not bother me does now. Mold absolutely kills me and it's everywhere around here because of the humidity. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question my friend. Instead of what type of FFM I should buy. Maybe it should be, will a FFM even help me with sinus and allergy problems?

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1778
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 05:14 PM)Patrick_Henry Wrote: Maybe it should be, will a FFM even help me with sinus and allergy problems?
The idea of FFM that allows you to breathe through nose or mouth and the therapy is not affected. As you pointed out FFM are most expensive, $60 is not a lot for FFM, will it work for you ... I think its one of those question cannot be answered without trialling such mask. What I like you might dislike and vice versa, matter of trail and error, everyone is different. I've found increase humidity helps with nasal congestion but yet again others might find the opposite is true

[Image: mouth-leak-cycle-english.jpg]
http://www.resmed.com/us/patients_and_fa...cycle.html

Post Reply Post Reply

Have you had a cold recently? Last week when I was in the hospital getting tested with the nasal only masks and they caused congestion and draining in my throat. It was enough to wake me up. I did not know if it was due to me recently getting over a cold or not but noticed the ffm did not have the same issue or at least not nearly as much.

My sister has a cpap with the nasal mask and says she only has minor congestion issues. Her "theory" as to why I had so much problems with the nasal pillows/mask, is because I breath with my mouth (and nose). she says you have to sleep with your mouth closed and it won't happen. Only I don't know how to do that so for now I am staying with the full mask. She also thinks I have allegories too and thinks I need to go to a dr about that. Just thought I would mention this as maybe there is connection.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2014, 08:14 AM)Fletch Wrote:

Have you had a cold recently? Last week when I was in the hospital getting tested with the nasal only masks and they caused congestion and draining in my throat. It was enough to wake me up. I did not know if it was due to me recently getting over a cold or not but noticed the ffm did not have the same issue or at least not nearly as much.

My sister has a cpap with the nasal mask and says she only has minor congestion issues. Her "theory" as to why I had so much problems with the nasal pillows/mask, is because I breath with my mouth (and nose). she says you have to sleep with your mouth closed and it won't happen. Only I don't know how to do that so for now I am staying with the full mask. She also thinks I have allegories too and thinks I need to go to a dr about that. Just thought I would mention this as maybe there is connection.

I wish that's all it was, but no, I haven't been sick lately. I just never was able to get used to a FFM. But I'm going to try it again I think.

Patrick Henry
June 4, 1778
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,538 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 464 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 289 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,029 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 188 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.