Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Cushion Replacement Question
Mask Cushion Replacement Question
I have the Quattro FX mask.  For the first two weeks, I slept like a baby.  No leaks, no problems.  (Yes, I may be one of the few people who took to therapy easily).  But, after the first two weeks, the leaks started and gradually it became unwearable.  A friend suggested that  I replace the cushion, which I did and lo and behold, a good night's sleep was had.

So, my question is ... is replacing a cushion every two weeks normal?  I expected a cushion to last at least 2 - 3 months and since my supplies are being paid for by me (I have a large deductible), it is a cost I wasn't expecting.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Cushion Replacement Question
I would expect it to last at least a month if not longer. You may have had a bad cushion. Something else you can do is make sure your face is clean of any lotions that might break down the cushion.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I clean my cushion daily with soap and water and it lasts for months. But the rest of the equipment every few weeks. Walla Walla is right, the cushion should be lasting a month or longer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would expect it to last at least six months.
Keeping it clean and wiping it every night with a none-alcohol wipe every night helps a lot.
Keeping your skin clean helps also, a good wash before bed.
It also helps if you keep your mask safe and not throw it to the side in the morning like I do.

Hides face in shame but........
Too-funny
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all.  

I do use a mask wipe every morning, and every night I wash my face before bed.  Maybe there was just an issue with the first one; crossed fingers that this cushion lasts longer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your straps get stretch abit. You can throw themin the wash and they have a tendency to shrink abit. You should not be tighting up the straps tight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not intent on being contrarian, but could it possibly be that the wipes, themselves, just happen to be the issue?  Just throwing that out there.

I'm still on the same nasal mask cushion I started my PAP trial on back in December.  It looks and feels like the day I first used it.  I wash it under warm tap water and liquid dish detergent (whatever we happen to have placed in the sink-side pump dispenser) about every four days on average.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2018, 11:53 AM)mesenteria Wrote: Not intent on being contrarian, but could it possibly be that the wipes, themselves, just happen to be the issue?  Just throwing that out there.

So, I started thinking this might be the issue just before you posted this.  The first week and a half that I had the CPAP, I washed it in the sink every morning, before wondering if there was an easier way and then ordering the wipes.  It is entirely possible that the wipes are either the cause, or not doing the job.  

Tonight, I'm going to wash the old cushion with soap and give it a try and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
For a long time I cleaned my cushions with Dawn dish detergent or Dial soap, no known issues. Then for a couple of years I used Johnson Baby Shampoo with no issues. For about the last year I have used the wipes from WalMart with no apparent issues. 

During my first 15 years or so I automatically replaced cushions every month or so because that's what the DMEs kept sending out. Since Medicare tightened that up I find that the masks are actually good for at least three months plus. I believe my leakage, which can sometimes be aggravating, is mostly affected by position and strap adjustment.

Hoping you can settle in with few problems,

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Pampers Natural Clean baby wipes. They are cheap ans free of alcohol and perfumes. I've been using the same F20 cushion for 16 months with no problems. I also wash it every week with Dawn. I used to use the Quatro FX but had more leak problems and the cushions only lasted a couple of months. The AirFit F20 has been much better for me.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 132 20,332 7 hours ago
Last Post: Olym19841988
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 91 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 252 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,951 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,492 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,091 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 230 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.