Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First 2 nights with cpap
First 2 nights with cpap
A little background:

Every single male in my family has sleep apnea. Chances are I was going to have sleep apnea.

My girlfriend used to complain of my snoring and over the past year she has told me it has become increasingly worse with me choking and gasping for breath a lot.

I have always been tired and never really felt 100% myself for as long as I can remember and I'm only 25. Unfortunately, I can't afford a sleep study right now so I borrowed a family members cpap that was not being used. Res med airsense 10. I did some research and tinkered with it for a while before the first night.

These are my first 2 nights. Obviously it's helping. I was surprised I was able to adjust to the awkwardness of the mask so quickly because it seems a large majority of people have a difficult time with this. Is there anything else I can draw from this data that might help me dial in on my correct settings for long term therapy?

I do plan on getting a formal sleep study done when I am financially able to. As of right now though, I have no baseline numbers to go off of. My immediate family members have been diagnosed as severe.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First 2 nights with cpap
Welcome

It looks like you're off to a good start! You will probably want to increase your minimum pressure some more, but you don't have enough data yet to say anything more. Avoid making too many changes all at once, waiting a week or two between changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board,

Agree with above, don't make pressure changes daily. Watch for a couple weeks, and those changes should only be made after studying your pressure graph and looking at the 90% and medium numbers. A pressure range can be 2 to 3cm below the 90% number, and 3cm above. Also turn off ramp if you don't need it.

With that said, your leak rate is too high. Do you notice air leaks from the full face mask?
You can try liners which sometimes helps. First priority should be to get leak rate under control.

In your screenshots, include the following graphs on the right. (Events graph, Pressure graph, flow rate graph, and leak graph.

Also need to see the Ahi detail under the calendar. (clear airway, Obstructives, hypopneas, etc.)

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll have to disagree about the leaks. Although the max is very high, the median and 95% are good. The high max may be from letting the machine run while not wearing the mask--but I would have to see the leak graph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are my graphs. There were a couple of times when I took the mask off without first shutting off the air.

i.imgur.com/gULs2XI.jpg

^add http.

Apparently I have already reached my image capacity and can't post links yet
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem at all with leaks. I see that the pressure never goes below 7, so you could immediately increase the minimum to 7. You will probably want to further increase it as Opal Rose suggested after you get more data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the pressure graph. Unless, you feel that you really need to use the ramp feature, I would turn it off. Or it should start a little under your medium pressure, around 7 or 8.

Other than that, looks good. The clear airways tend to settle down after a bit.
Keep us posted and good luck.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi HairyMooseKnuckles,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Great job taking the bull by the horns as you did.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine tuned to meet your needs.
Keep up the good work and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
you got some great advice ^^^. I agree that your min could be immediately raised to 7 - or even 8, and then i would get a couple weeks data before trying to change anything else.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 453 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 583 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 455 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] First 2 Nights of CPAP (help?) jp0808 1 374 11-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.