Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Frustrations
RE: Mask Frustrations
Thank you all for your input, I do so appreciate it. I have an appointment at my DME tomorrow morning - my fourth trip down there within a week. I am going to insist on trying a different brand of FFM, and if they do not provide one, I will purchase one on my own. I would rather use a FFM. However, if I have no better luck, I will try a nasal mask. I have already ordered a chin strap. I have to get a decent mask of some kind. Even Sleepyhead software says my mask leaks way too much and my AHI was 16 last night. Since I didn't get much sleep last night, due to the mask leaking, I will not be using my CPAP tonight. However, I am determined to find a mask that works and I am determined to have my CPAP therapy be successful!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your input, suggestions, recommendations and etc.

Good news. I went back to DME this morning for an appointment for a mask refitting. I was given a ResMed F10 for her. It appeared to be much better quality then the crappy Elara I had been trying to use, so I was feeling very hopeful. However, I just tried to take a nap and after 20 minutes of it being perfect, it started the farting, and I had to over-tighten it in order to make it stop which was quite uncomfortable and I couldn't sleep. So, I will try using mask liners after reading many other people on this forum had the same issue and found them to be helpful. I just ordered a free sample pack from RemZzzs and I will also order a washable one from pad a cheek. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will work....... If not, I am going to try just a nasal mask and chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
A little trick that seems to work on most FFMs is to lightly pull it away from your face at startup to allow the seal to inflate for a proper seal.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to re-position mine like that several times a night.  I am active sleeper.  Make sure to wash your face before lying down as any oils will impede a good seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I feel your pain...or I DID feel your pain when I tried the full mask. I also had Hugh leaks w the full mask...it lifted right off my face at full ramp! I went to a nasal mask with a mouth strap....was told a month or so w the strap would train my mouth to stay shut and it worked.  I'm still experiencing more leaks than I'd like but working on different tightness.  I've also been prescribed a sleeping pill for six months to teach me how to sleep through the little annoyances with the Cpap.  Best to you
Post Reply Post Reply
What Chill said. Wash your face with some form of soap or use a toner to remove all greasy residue. Face creams and makeup remover residue cause more leaks. It takes a few nights to figure out how to prevent the leaks, so be patient. I often set the mask up as high as it is intended to be and then pull it slightly lower. I also had the lower straps too loose at first. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
So frustrated that I am in tears! Last night was my first night with new mask - ResMed F-10. Even though I let it inflate before fitting, it kept farting, Numerous times I tried to lift the mask away from face and reseat (to let seal inflate as was advised) but that did not help with the farting. Finally, after an hour or so, I tightened the straps. Then it would be good for a few minutes and then it would start farting again.

I found that I had to tilt my head to left or right a bit until the farting stopped, then it would start again-rinse and repeat, and rinse and repeat. Had to tighten straps several times until it was quite uncomfortable on face and felt pressure on face and nose causing a headache but it stopped farting mostly. Found if I slept on my side it usually didn't fart but that hurts my hips and legs to sleep on my side very long.

Very rough night, numbers terrible and woke up with a hell of a pressure sore on my nose that is very painful. So now, due to big pressure sore on nose, unable to use the mask at all. Still waiting for mask liners to come but the homemade one that I had tried with my previous mask did not help.

I feel like a Zombie today. According to Sleepyhead last night, my AHI was 17. I had 17 Hypopnea events, 142 Obstructive Events. After only a week with this CPAP experience I feel ready to throw in the towel, but I won't. Trying to decide whether to call my DME and get a nasal mask or nasal pillows and use the chin strap I just got; or, to wait until I get the mask liners and try them with the friggin mask I have. Kinda feel like shooting myself in the face today, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tina, is your Dreamstation a CPAP, Pro or Auto model? Since you have data, I assume it is a pro or auto model. I don't normally recommend this approach, but in your case, getting some sleep and therapy is more important. I think you might benefit from an adjustment period at lower pressure so that you can get comfortable and adapt to using the mask. This will allow events to occur, but better to have a few additional events, than to give up the therapy in frustration. We can talk about specifics once you let us know what model machine you're using, and if you are open to trying this alternative.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2017, 09:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Tina, is your Dreamstation a CPAP, Pro or Auto model?  Since you have data, I assume it is a pro or auto model.  I don't normally recommend this approach, but in your case, getting some sleep and therapy is more important.  I think you might benefit from an adjustment period at lower pressure so that you can get comfortable and adapt to using the mask.  This will allow events to occur, but better to have a few additional events, than to give up the therapy in frustration.  We can talk about specifics once you let us know what model machine you're using, and if you are open to trying this alternative.

Hi Sleeprider,
Thank you for your response.  It is an Auto model, however, the provider has it set as CPAP due to doctor orders, so I am unable to change my pressure setting.  It is difficult getting used the the mask, but the main problem isn't that, it is the leaking and "farting" that the mask does that no matter what I try, the only thing that somewhat works is to tighten the straps which then gives me a headache and a pressure sore on my nose so that I cannot use it. 

I did call my DME and ask to try a nasal mask that I may be able to use since I have a chin strap.  They said that they have to bill for it since I already changed my mask once which is all that is allowed.  They also said that it would be 7-10 days before I would even get it.  I asked them how I was to stay in compliance using the machine when I have a mask that I cannot use because of "farting" and now a pressure sore on my nose.  They said the guidelines are what they are.  So, my plan is to not use it tonight to allow the sore to heal but to try to use it tomorrow night.  I am waiting for mask liners to arrive as well.  The idea is to try to get through the next 7 - 10 days
waiting for the nasal mask while trying to stay in compliance with usage. 

I am not going to give up, I was just venting my frustration.  I am just so tired I cannot function, or think very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Until the mask liners arrive, maybe take an old sock and cut a strip from it to line the mask in the sore area.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  chipmunk cheeks /other frustrations martyedb 4 1,170 10-23-2022, 07:53 PM
Last Post: OldYamaha
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,751 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.