Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Headgear Tightness
Mask Headgear Tightness
In trying to stop leaks, I know not to tighten the straps too much on a Resmed Airfit F10 so as not to flatten the cushion effect, but sometimes they are pretty tight to get it stopped. Good thing is that I am not having headaches. Are there precautions or long term health effects of over tightening a mask that is not related to CPAP.. . if any long term effect?
Any discussion on this topic would be appreciated since I am into this 6 weeks now and have gotten used to the "hurricane" effect of the air but loud leaks off and on are keeping me from getting a full nights rest.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Headgear Tightness
My first thought is; Have you tried different mask sizes? Other than that, each mask seems to have its own unique set of tricks to work correctly. FFM's seem to use the lower straps for leak tension and the uppers straps for placement. I use a different brand but have found that tightening the upper straps will cause my mask to leak into my eyes. This may or may not work for you.

It does take awhile to get use to sleeping with something stuck to your face.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I haven't read anything about long-term effects of a too tight mask, I certainly don't like the pain when I've got my mask too tight. It's not a headache per se, but scalp/jaw pain may be the best way to describe it. As for a hurricane effect, in my experience this is due to a small leak somewhere because when I've got everything sealed up nicely, there is hardly a sound from the machine or tubing/mask combo. Sometimes, the difference between a too tight mask and a fit that's OK is simply a matter of my slightly changing the position of the headgear that rests on the back of my head or slightly relaxing the tension on one of the headgear straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
The difficulty I have found is how sensitive a mask is to get just the right pressure and how to adjust the straps a very small amount. The difference between too lose and too tight can be 1/8", once you get it close I have to keep my fingers on the main part of the strap so I get good control of moving the Velcro part just a little bit, sometimes taking 2-3 small steps to get it fitting just right. I started out just pulling the Velcro open and tugging on the strap, impossible to control how much it moves by doing this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all your great input and suggestions. I am off to try these ideas and realize that a lot of this looseness has to be tightness!!

Now. . . . if the low AHI recordings could really mean that you get a good night's restful sleep, then I can stretch out in the lounge chair. Oh MY!
Post Reply Post Reply
The low AHI says the treatment is working and the apneas are under control. It does not have anything to do with comfort using the therapy, there are settings you can adjust if you need to. Personally I adjusted everything and my FIL change humidity and slept like a baby ever since.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using my mask for about 8hrs a night for the last 9 months and usually achieve an AHI of less than 1.0 however woke up numerous times throughout the night as air was blowing into my eyes.

I'd tried tightening the straps but that didn't help, I loosened the straps and that didn't help either.

Last week I ordered some mask liners and what a difference they've made, no more waking up every 30 minutes or so.

The downside is that they cost me £20 (approx. $30) for 4 weeks supply but well worth it as far as I'm concerned.
Post Reply Post Reply
Way to go. I have a question for you. When you started using the liners, did your leakage data in Sleepyhead change at all?

Glad to hear that you are doing well. You can make your own liners or there are reusable liners available from companies like Padacheek.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
At your low pressure you should have not problems with leaks on the F10 if it is adjusted correctly (loose enough). The exception will be when you roll over and push it off to one side or the other - then you will need to put it back in place to stop the leaking. I find the F10 cushion design starts failing (for me) around 16 or so, at that point excessive messures are needed. If you do end up having to go the very tight straps route, I recommend a small pice (1"x1"x1" - 2.54x2.54x2.54cm) of memory foam (closed cell) that you wedge in the top corner of the F10 that fits down on the bridge of your nose. I found this foam will absorb the pressure from off your bridge and stop the "pain" and irritation many complain about.

PaytonA, my leakage with the liners goes up a little, but normally not over the 24 limit. However, what the liners do for me is STOP the burps, whistles, and squeaking. So, I can sleep through most of what would otherwise be a constant racket. (Also, it stops the mask noise from waking my wife, which is even more important). I have stop using the liners for now, and I am trying to address the leaks directly. I am trying to go at 15 CPAP instead of my normal 14-17 APAP. So far it is not working - my AHI is back up to around 6.5 - sigh. I am going to give it a while, then inch the pressure up slowly to see if I can get under AHI 5 and still not have wet use any foam or liners on the mask...

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2016, 06:22 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: At your low pressure you should have not problems with leaks on the F10 if it is adjusted correctly (loose enough). The exception will be when you roll over and push it off to one side or the other - then you will need to put it back in place to stop the leaking. I find the F10 cushion design starts failing (for me) around 16 or so, at that point excessive messures are needed. If you do end up having to go the very tight straps route, I recommend a small pice (1"x1"x1" - 2.54x2.54x2.54cm) of memory foam (closed cell) that you wedge in the top corner of the F10 that fits down on the bridge of your nose. I found this foam will absorb the pressure from off your bridge and stop the "pain" and irritation many complain about.

Whose low pressure are you talking about? DugDale's pressure can go up to 20.

(08-04-2016, 06:22 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: PaytonA, my leakage with the liners goes up a little, but normally not over the 24 limit. However, what the liners do for me is STOP the burps, whistles, and squeaking. So, I can sleep through most of what would otherwise be a constant racket. (Also, it stops the mask noise from waking my wife, which is even more important). I have stop using the liners for now, and I am trying to address the leaks directly. I am trying to go at 15 CPAP instead of my normal 14-17 APAP. So far it is not working - my AHI is back up to around 6.5 - sigh. I am going to give it a while, then inch the pressure up slowly to see if I can get under AHI 5 and still not have wet use any foam or liners on the mask...

Yep Frank, that is my point exactly. Liners may fix some of the irritating problems with leaks but do not necessarily actually reduce the leaks.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 746 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,658 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 439 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 351 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 474 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 422 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.