Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Leak and CPAP performance
Mask Leak and CPAP performance
Hello,
   I have a specific question.  I am using a rested 10.  I love it.  I wake up feeling refreshed.  Each morning I wake up refreshed. 
I use nasal pillows and I use.  head strap to keep my mouth shut during sleep.  Nevertheless, each morning when I check my sleep score on Resmed (not Oscar) myI get between a 10 and a 12 ( out of 20) on mask leak.  My arena score is usually between  0.1 and 0.5.  Does anyone have any advice on what the leak scores means and any advice on how to improve this
  Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Leak and CPAP performance
Many others here have much more knowledge than I do.

When I started here I didn't know how my gear worked. I didn't know how to solve problems. I think you're at that stage. If you want to take control and ensure your treatment really works, consider using Oscar.
Also, consider using MyAir if you can with your ResMed machine. I find it simple and helpful.

Masks. I keep trying full face masks. I can't keep them on. I wish I could. But my last trial was a ResMed F20 (I think). It was comfortable and easier to wear. On my face it leaked like a sieve.

Did your full face mask ever work? If it did, what has changed?

Please take a minute and fill in details. Your posts here are private, as far as I know. Wink

You'll get better help when you do that.

Be safe. Be well
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Dexburn, the results you see are not at all out of keeping with typical performance.  If your AHI each morning is less than 5.0, you are being successfully treated.

Is there room for improvement?  If your AHI is between 3.0 and 4.9, yes, probably.  If it is under 3.0, now you're getting to the point of diminishing returns and you should be more concerned with both comfort and 'credibility'...how much you believe you are being treated and if you feel okay each morning.

Your machine is designed to 'overcome' leakage.  The engineers who designed, built, trialed, and then brought to market these wonderful devices, and all their accessories, can't design items that fit everyone equally well.  So, they engineered everything to have some range of capability and fit.  And that is why so many of us DO derive a healthy benefit from them...they work better than 95% efficiency.  Even with leakage.

The machines compensate for leakage up to a point where the leaks are excessive, at which you get a 'large leak' warning.  If you get a short duration 'large leak' once or twice per night, that's nothing to worry about if the nightly report says your AHI is low, below 5.0.  If yours is closer to 1-2, you're way ahead of things and should feel secure about the few and minor leaks that you have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mesenteria, 
 Thanks for that info.  My AHI every night is below 1.0.   I am using a chin strap and will get a better one and I think that will help as well.  I am hoping that it will continue to improve.  I. do feel better every morning
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,413 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 155 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 138 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.