Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Leakage Airsense 10
Mask Leakage Airsense 10
My device is showing the red face for major mask leakage, but my mask is not leaking.   I have been a CPAP user since 1997.   Sometimes in the past week only, my machine has been making some sounds like a "flap" slamming shut on the inside.

Been using the machine for 6 years and a few months. Using Sleepyhead software. showing 45% leak rate.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?  Could something be repaired inside the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Leakage Airsense 10
My air leaks are awful.  I was lying in bed last night, not moving at all; hardly breathing -- then heard little air pops.  Sure thing -- I had a lowered score of mask leaks.  I use a full-face mask because I can keep it in place better.  Tried the nasal mask and it was so light; any time I moved, it shifted.

The hardest thing for me are mask leaks -- I tighten up the headgear so much, I get marks on my face or pressure lines on the back of my head.  But if I loosen the headgear, I get leaks.

Can't win for losing!!!

Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are having leaks that large should be loud and pretty obvious where they are coming from. My guess would be humidifier if not hose/mask.

If it is something messed up inside I don't know what it would be but there are some videos on disassembly like this one if you want to investigate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpI0AVoCG3M
Post Reply Post Reply
If you put up your Oscar charts someone here may be able to identify what is going on.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2021, 10:28 AM)Geer1 Wrote: If you are having leaks that large should be loud and pretty obvious where they are coming from. My guess would be humidifier if not hose/mask.

If it is something messed up inside I don't know what it would be but there are some videos on disassembly like this one if you want to investigate.

Thanks for your thoughts.  You would think it would be obvious but not.   My masks are not leaking and I have tested by tubing for leaks and nada.  The only thing I can figure is that the lid seal on the humidifier tank is no longer sealing.  I'll most likely purchase a new tank.

Also thanks for the video link.  Watched that and I might do that to see if I can find anything wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check the pair of donut seals in the rear of the humidifier tub's cavity. 6 plus years, yeah maybe you're blowing a seal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is a humidifier leak you should hear it, maybe not if it was a small leak but 45% is a large leak.

This large leak is present all of the time?
Post Reply Post Reply
The larger the leak, the less noisy it will be if it's a true breach of a seal or improper seating of the tub into its receptacle. I would bump up the pressure setting for a test, and then get a feather or a shred of toilet tissue and wand the entire surface of the machine, including the hose ends, all with the mask well fitted and in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2021, 07:22 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Check the pair of donut seals in the rear of the humidifier tub's cavity. 6 plus years, yeah maybe you're blowing a seal.

For about the last year or so my A10 will make a squealing noise when I turn it on. If I push the humidifier tank in really hard, then the squeal stops -- although it sure doesn't FEEL like it's moving at all!

Sometimes I have to pull the tank in and push it back hard to get some serious acceleration!

I'm pretty sure that I'm on the original water tank from Oct 2014. I have a couple of new tanks in boxes that Lincare insisted that I needed. I figure if I get to the point where slamming the humidifier in hard doesn't make the noise go away, I'll break out a new tank and try that.

However, given the amount of crud that I can SEE on that seal, I'm thinking that the water tub is going to last longer than the seal is!

Which brings up two obvious questions:
  1. Is there a safe way to clean the crud -- which I never before noticed but now don't want to go to sleep, LOL!
  2. does anybody know what happens if I -- or tbone -- blow this seal? does somebody fix it? Is this an argument for getting a new machine -- mine has over 17,000 hours on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
See where the grey tab goes behind the black piece. Press that grey tab in and then you can pull that elbow/seal out where your hose attaches.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 105 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 258 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 340 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Why do I need to get my flow limitation and leakage down? Kathy14225 12 1,428 09-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.