Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Leaks
Mask Leaks
Hi everybody, brand new user here. Last night was my first night, and all things considered I think it went very well. I did not find it unbearable at all; it was pretty easy to forget about actually. In the past I would wake up every 2 hours practically like clockwork, last night only briefly one time. 

I generally sleep on my side/stomach combo, flip-flopping from side to side occasionally as my arm falls asleep under my pillow (lol). No problem at all with the mask in these positions. However, sometimes I flop onto my back, and at that point as I feel myself drifting back to sleep, I feel a cool rush of air on my cheek as my facial muscles relax and my mouth opens slightly. This awakens me enough to fiddle with my mask, trying to stop it. Of course as soon as I am alert, the problem stops. I have tried pulling the mask straight out and letting it reposition/conform, but not sure that did much. I wound up tightening the straps (probably too much). That may have worked somewhat, but most likely I think I just got annoyed and went back to my side.

I'll loosen the straps back up tonight to where they were. It felt a little too tight when I took it off this morning. My mask seal numbers in the MyAir app are close to the limit, (although the score is not bad at 17/20). Interestingly, the figure differs between the iPhone app and the website. The phone app says 22.8 L/min and the website says 23 L/min (probably the website doesn't use decimals maybe?). The maximum allowable for a satisfactory score is 24 and I feel like I'm pushing it. All my other scores were perfect (97/100).

So, should I just stay off my back? Sometimes it feels just right lol. Or should I not worry about it too much? Overall, I think I'm off to a very promising start. My AHI was 1.8 on my first night with the CPAP; during my sleep test I registered an overall REI of 14.3, but it was 30 when on my back. I was snoring for 529.5 minutes, or 98.6% of the test time which was nearly 9 hours.

Anyway, hi everybody!

Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Leaks
Welcome!
I remember my first day. I got my machine mid day; went home exhausted. Used my machine during a nap. Deep sleep First in a long long time.
When things go well, remember the feeling.
When things aren't going well, it's time to question and see what's changed.
I haven't answered your questions. Others here do that so much better than I do.

I learned a lesson recently from another member. His advice was golden for me. He said to support the hose so when I move the hose won't tug on my mask. I have a hose reel over my bed now. It works beautifully, and my sleep has improved so much. (Thanks BigGuy!)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
It will take some time to learn how to sleep close-to-normal-for-you with any mask and supporting headgear.  I gave up on the idea of side-sleeping soon after commencing therapy, but suddenly I was waking up on my side, having slept quite well, thanks very much, and found that there were no leaks.  That was at the six month mark.

You might have to swap masks, or maybe just get used to either a chin strap or a soft foam cervical collar...whatever you can adapt to easily and that keeps your slackening jaw from changing the contours at the skin level nearest the mask seal.  Whatever it turns out to be, you will have to experiment, meaning leaving your (relative) comfort zone and trying things out.  If you are willing to tolerate some stress and adjustment for the next couple of weeks, you'll eventually find something that works better.  But, you'll also change how you sleep and you'll continue to adapt with what you have.  It just might not be quite so quick.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello & welcome!

I'm currently using the same mask you are. I find it to be very good. I do get some minor air leaks at times, but I usually wake up temporarily and readjust it. I have an AirFit F30 as well, but the F20 still seems to function better for me. 

I'm a side sleeper and a mouth breather. I have to tighten the headgear straps from time to time. They will loosen up with use. Finding a good pillow that will accommodate a face mask is important. I tried 4 or 5 until I found the right one. 

I took to SA Therapy like you did. The 1st night I used my machine the whole night. My AHI's have been well under 5. Usually under 4. Lowest so far has been a 0.2 or 0.3 I believe. 

Anyways, good luck to you. You got questions and/or concerns, this is the place to have them addressed.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new here too and trying to catch up. You've written most things I'm going through. I've had my machine for a year and stopped using it 6 months ago. Thinking of trying it again. Interesting to read others stories. Watching what suggestions are given to you and what you do to succeed
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2019, 05:33 PM)IP Nightly Wrote: I'm new here too and trying to catch up.  You've written most things I'm going through.  I've had my machine for a year and stopped using it 6 months ago.  Thinking of trying it again.  Interesting to read others stories.  Watching what suggestions are given to you and what you do to succeed

I've been doing this a long time.
A year ago a coworker was diagnosed. He stopped breathing 105 times an hour.
Clearly he should have been diagnosed before. 
This thing we have affects our whole body. Simplifying, oxygen levels are way below what they should be. That affects everything.

A thought--before diagnosis I got up 4 or 5 times a night to go to the washroom. When my treatment works I may get up once. 

I've missed 1 night in over 30 years. I can't tell how I've slept.  But I can tell how I feel. I feel much better using my cpap machine and implementing suggestions that forum participants have made.

Good luck!
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Strange night #2 (well, different anyway, sort of). I woke up more often, had to use the restroom once early on, but then woke up 2 or 3 times over the course of fthe rest of the night. Not for long, it was becasue I was aware of my mask leaking and I got aggravated trying to correct it which woke me up more fully. I still went back to sleep easily once I dealt with it, but I noticed it was even leaking while on my side, and I was getting the flappy silicone noise at times. 

You know, when I first put the mask on, with the straps not overly tight, it's a great fit and a tight seal. My machine starts at 4 and actually delivers a little strange sensation between inhale and exhale, but nothing I can't ignore and fall asleep. When I wake up later and feel a leak on my cheek (sounds like Dr. Seuss, lol) and I fiddle with it, I find I need to tighten the straps. My machine usually shows its running anywhere from 9 to 14, once it was at 18, but I don't feel any sensation of pressure whatsoever. It's actually very pleasant. I need to stop stressing over the leaks I think. My readout from the MyAir app showed a perfect 100 last night, my AHI reduced to 1.4, and my mask leak was only at 6 L/min. So either I'm doing a decent job correcting the problem as I wake to discover it, or it's just not that big of a deal. 

I did notice at one point that I felt some air coming out of the connection between the hose and mask, at the swivel joint. Is this normal? It wasn't a lot, but it was noticable, my fingers could feel a small breeze.

Regardless, I feel like when I did sleep, I slept well. We'll see how tonight goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2019, 10:22 AM)DaveL Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 05:33 PM)IP Nightly Wrote: I'm new here too and trying to catch up.  You've written most things I'm going through.  I've had my machine for a year and stopped using it 6 months ago.  Thinking of trying it again.  Interesting to read others stories.  Watching what suggestions are given to you and what you do to succeed

This thing we have affects our whole body. Simplifying, oxygen levels are way below what they should be. That affects everything.

A thought--before diagnosis I got up 4 or 5 times a night to go to the washroom. When my treatment works I may get up once. 

I've missed 1 night in over 30 years. I can't tell how I've slept.  But I can tell how I feel. I feel much better using my cpap machine and implementing suggestions that forum participants have made.

Good luck!

I sure do wish that my SA treatment allowed me to visit the bathroom less often at night. In that regard, nothing has changed. I've even been taking a medication to help matters (Tamsulosin 0.4MG.) and it hasn't helped either.
Post Reply Post Reply
BEERx, please take note of what your median and maximum pressure is and narrow the range. Ideally you will download the free OSCAR program and put up a chart. By narrowing your pressure you will experience fewer sleep disruptions, and your mask fit will not change so much as pressure increases. In addition, if you are using EPR, the minimum pressure your machine can generate is 4.0 cm. If you are using EPR 3 then you are starting at 4/4 and progressing to 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 and then your exhale pressure will finally start to rise. This can feel weird and cause you to lose effectiveness until you are finally getting up to your therapeutic pressure. The Resmed Autoset is one of the best machines with a default range of 4-20, but after a few nights, you should be looking to set your minimum pressure equal to the median pressure you experience during the night.

Your mask does not appear to fit. If you must use a full face mask, the best way to fit it is laying down and letting your face relax as it will do at night. If you are not sure that you MUST use a full face, get the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. They almost never leak and as long as you maintain the seal between your tongue and palate, it will work great with a lot less stuff on your face. Many members started with full-face and later learned they not only could use a nasal pillows, but were much more comfortable after switching. You won't know unless you try.

Post up a chart and we can probably get you more comfortable. Meanwhile, read the Optimizing your Therapy wiki in my signature links.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2019, 11:01 AM)Big Guy Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 10:22 AM)DaveL Wrote:

Good luck!

I sure do wish that my SA treatment allowed me to visit the bathroom less often at night. In that regard, nothing has changed. I've even been taking a medication to help matters (Tamsulosin 0.4MG.) and it hasn't helped either.

Big Guy you suggested that I should look at using a hose reel to support my hose. I've done that and it's made a huge difference for me. I'm sleeping better. I wake up less often.
I move a lot during my sleep. I suspect that every time I moved my hose tugged on my mask. 
So that simple change has improved my sleep quality. I'm waking up feeling better than before.

Little changes make huge differences for me. I hope the poster reads this.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 109 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 503 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.