Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Problems
Mask Problems
Hi all. Last night really gave my setup a good try again (maybe 5th night). I keep experiencing that my FFM is too cumbersome to side-sleep. I could fix this by buying a pillow with cutouts I suppose.
But it also leaks at chin and corners of mouth while back-sleeping.

I'd mostly like to find something I can back-sleep with given that I have body pain anyway when side-sleeping. On my back, to fix leaks, I did try to tighten mask and then loosen it and just let it rest on face - neither to any avail.

Nasal masks make my lips flutter so I don't know what to do.

I did order my same mask in a size Small and am waiting for that to arrive. I currently have a Medium. I'm a somewhat smaller lady and have a perfectly round head. My face has fallen a bit due to age. Maybe that matters. But I got the feeling last night that it was just big enough to cover the sides of my mouth so I don't knowing going down a size will work.

Maybe I need to use tape or even just try something new?

Any input or recommendations?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Problems
Have you tried a chinstrap? If so you could go to the PR DreamWear mask which is great for side sleepers. Also big bonus is the hose connection is at the top of the head.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Isn't the DreamWear mask a nasal mask only though? Fills my mouth with air and my lips open. Plus my mouth opens somewhat anyway when on my back so I need a FFM. Is there a smaller one?
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to look at one of the Resmed Airfit products.

The Airfit P10 is a nasal pillow mask and you probably won't want that.

The Airfit N10 and F10 are masks that cover your nose and mouth in a small package, much smaller than a full face mask.

I use the P10 and have an F10 back up in case I ever get a bad cold and need to breath through my mouth

Dennis
Post Reply Post Reply
Great. Thanks. I will look into those!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wait. The N10 is a nasal mask, isn't it?
And the F10
Is about the same size as my current mask, isn't it? (See my signature).
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience with mask sizes is that generally there is no change in the width of the mask at the mouth with different sizes. The sizes for full face masks seem to be based on the distance from the deepest part of the bridge of your nose to the indentation between your lower lip and your chin. You might look into a mask that is not a "for her" model. May give you more room at the mouth.

If you want to side sleep, you can sleep with your head on the edge of the regular pillow and the mask hanging out in the air.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefullady,
I've been a mouth breather most my life. Have used FFM's since I started CPAP in 2003. Have had difficulty maintaining seal at times. I found my solution using an RespCARE Hybrid FFM. It's a FFM with a much smaller mouth area to seal. Due to design I don't need to use a chin strap to keep mouth closed. Might be worth taking alook at.
Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out the Amara View while your at it.
to set a mask, with the straps on the lose side of tight, with air flowing pull the mask away form your face a little to let the silicon seal inflate and then let it go. the mask should "float" on the silicon seal so that the seal conforms to your face. If mine leaks at a spot (identified my slightly pushing the mask with a finger) I will pull just that part and get the seal to better inflate.

Edge of pillow works for me for side sleeping as I used to do this before masking up anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all.
Been trying the "hanging off the pillow" thing...hasn't worked. Moves mask and I get leaks.
I already have the "For Her" model. (as I said, my signature expresses that).

Was lucky to get a mask fitting today. The tech was kinda rushed so I forgot that I wanted to try a hybrid. I don't know that I really got the most time/attention I needed but I did get to try the Amara. Flimsy, sticky plastic piece with a large nose hole leaked at the nose too easily.

Tried the mask I currently have but in a "Small", and that felt better. As Payton said, the area between crease in chin and bridge of nose: apparently mine is kind of small, so I'm hoping that will work. So I took that mask.

I'll keep in mind the RespCare Hybrid if this doesn't work.
Thanks much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,868 34 minutes ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 141 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 212 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,820 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,524 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 977 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 453 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.