Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas: Positional? Something else?
Central Apneas: Positional? Something else?
Hello 

Here's a detailed history of where I left things a few years ago. @Sleeprider and the rest of the brain trust were exceptionally helpful in helping me understand and get the VPAP optimized. 

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...r-UARS-etc

My last post in this forum (from February 2019) could have been written in February this year.  Around March/April, I started sleeping on my back due to hip and back issues. My back and hips (and shoulders - to be young again) much prefer back sleeping.  My sleep apnea, maybe not so much. I use a soft cervical collar. Perhaps I need to switch soft cervical collars from the Caldera Realeaf to something else. I replace the collar about every 3 months. After replacing the collar 2 months ago, there were no significant change in the centrals.

Since I started sleeping on my back, I have many clustered centrals. These could be positional, or then maybe not...

When I wake up, I try to keep the machine with hopes of returning to sleep. My pattern is to sleep 4-5 hours, wake up (no urgent need to go to the bathroom), and keep the machine on for 30-60 minutes. If I fall back asleep, GREAT. If not, then I tend to get out of bed until I'm tired, and then try to return to sleep. sometimes I fall back asleep, and sometimes I don't. This past night (September 5), I did not fall back asleep.

Five hours of sleep isn't uncommon. I try to take a 20-minute nap during the day to offset the fatigue.

I would very much appreciate any insights you can provide with regard to machine optimization or confirmation that my centrals are positional.

Attached Files
.pdf   Sleep.pdf (Size: 1.1 MB / Downloads: 13)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas: Positional? Something else?
WakeTired, That is a lot of central apnea on 9/5, and a bit better on 9/4. I think we need to reverse titrate the PS similar to what we did when we were working on flow limitation, but the other direction. Take PS back to 4.0 and if you are not already using high trigger sensitivity, change that setting as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider!

Let's start with trigger sensitivity - currently set to medium - and will move it to high.

If that doesn't help, then we can do a reverse titration for PS. 

Interesting how our PAP needs evolve over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Problem solved!

Switching from the Caldera Releaf Neck Rest to a stiffer soft cervical problem pretty much eliminated all the centrals. The Releaf wasn't stiff enough to support my neck when I switched from being a side sleeper to a back sleeper. So I now conclude the centrals were due to the collar not being stiff enough.

While I did increase the trigger sensitivity before switching the collar, this did not reduce the centrals.

Thanks, @Sleeprider! I very much appreciate your response and assistance!
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great news. Be sure to review the new collar and mention what it is here. Your story is one we hear a lot, and supports the advice to keep trying with an alternate size, type or brand of collar. It would be great to hear some more specifics.

Did the trigger sensitivity or PS setting help with the centrals?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think the trigger sensitivity was a factor. However, I left it on very high. The key was using a firmer soft cervical collar.

Regarding the cervical collar and a review... Unfortunately, they don't seem to make the collar anymore.  I purchased it online a bunch of years back, and the brand no longer seems to exist. Total bummer, because it brought my AHI back down to zero(ish).
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, that was very good reasoning on your part. I guess you have some time to source a good replacement for when you need it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,525 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.