Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Recommendations For Facial Hair
Mask Recommendations For Facial Hair
It appears that I am in need of changing my full face mask to something else, since the best that I can do is a 72% to 75% mask fit. Originally I chose the FFM because of the occasional stuffy nose, but I have got my humidifier dialed in and that doesn't appear to be a problem any more. What type of mask would you recommend to someone that wears a full beard for most of the year?
Regards;
Lex Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Recommendations For Facial Hair
I was going to edit the OP, but apparently it's too late. I found this post after my original searches. Equipment-facial-hair It appears that the nasal pillows may be the answer. I'm just not sure that I can stand them. Rolleyes
Regards;
Lex Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
My brother has a full beard and uses a Fisher and Pakel full face mask. While he still gets some leaking, it is rarely large leaks. He has a bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a mustache and a beard-kind of a shortened Van Dyke. I use the Mirage Quattro FFM and normally do not have any problem with leaks. I do have the headgear tight but it is more due to my facial topography than the facial hair. Another FFM that might be of interest is the Simplus by F&P.

I have used several different masks and have never had any problem with leakage where the mask seal is on my facial hair.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a mustache and goatee. Use the Airfit F10. Have not had a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you do not mouth-breath the nasal pillows are great. Those are not tubes sticking up your nose, it is the shape of the exterior of your nostrils, and that is where this mask seals. It is completely unobtrusive and millions of us prefer them to the full face mask or nasal mask. It's small, efficient, comfortable, and doesn't care if you have a beard.

Many DMEs and online sellers offer a return policy if it doesn't work out. Supplier 1 offers a 30 day return with no charge. Check it out, you might like it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies and recommendations. I was fortunate enough to get an average mask fit of 92% and 95% for 3.5 hours last night with my current mask. I was able to do this by putting the mask on in front of a mirror, taking care to adjust the mask correctly and sleeping on the edge of my pillow. I think I will try it a few more nights before making a change.
Regards;
Lex Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you are Chewbacca, I imagine that the beard grows other places than directly on your nose, so it would seem like something that touches only your nose, like a Airfit P10, would be a no-brainer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job Lex Tac. You do not really need to listen to the P10 cult members. Big GrinBig Grin Just kidding!! A little common sense can go a long way. Keep on the hunt.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
"Cult" implies adherence to a principle without knowing why, as if mesmerized by some outside controlling force. This makes that an inappropriate characterization for P10 users, because we all know exactly why.

It is popular for a good reason. We like it because we know that it works well, which is why we recommend it. It is fine to use something else that you might find to be even better for you, but not wanting to use something because it works well that is popular because it works well would be sheer madness.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 526 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 626 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 246 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Recommendations for national suppliers? HenryBowman 2 391 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.