Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Recommendations for me
Mask Recommendations for me
I am going to be getting a new machine soon and I am looking for a mask for my needs.
I know a whole face mask is out for now.
So only a nasal mask, at least for now.

I sleep on my side but tend to switch side to side, both over and under.
I was thinking a mask that routes over the top of my head. So hopefully when I swap sides under it won't rap around my head.

Can the f&p pilairo be made to do this? I have read really good things about this unit.

Are there ones that can be made to so that when I swap sides, no matter how I do it, the tube will not wrap around me?

I was thinking about routing the tube through my headboard that has a single long slit in it. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks,
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Recommendations for me
Hi Mark:

I had a hard time finding a mask that suited me. I tried Full Face, Nasal Masks, and ended up using a Swift LT Nasal Pillows.

It has a clip on the top for holding my hose and I also drape it over our headboard.

Works great foe me as I am a side sleeper.

Good Luck

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi markrb,
I use the silicon version, (there is also a cloth version,) of the Respironics wisp and it has a hose that you can put in the top of the mask so your machine's hose will go over your head. There are a couple of reviews on it here on the board in the product review section.
I think there is a hose you can put over your head on the pilairo mask and there is a review on it in the product review section,too.
I hope you find just the right mask for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Just so you know, there is a difference between nasal _masks_, which fit over the nose, and nasal _pillows_, which seal directly against the nostrils.

Almost all nasal masks connect via a freely-rotating 90 degree connector at the front of the mask, so it is trivial to route the hose via the top of your head. Nasal pillows tend to connect via a fixed short length of hose coming out of the unit, typically in a downward direction. Depending on the stiffness of the hose, you can simply loop it around and route the hose over the top of your head as well. I have no direct experience with the Pilairo, so I don't know how easy it would be for that unit.

There are also commercially available hose hangers that suspend the hose above your head and keep it out of the way. Several people have created their own makeshift hose hangers out of coat hangers and attached it to their headboard.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2013, 04:23 PM)RonWessels Wrote: Nasal pillows tend to connect via a fixed short length of hose coming out of the unit, typically in a downward direction.

The SwiftFX has a 360-degree swivel. I do like that about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Talk to your DME/supplier in trying different masks, you should be able to return mask within 30 days and keep trying until you find a mask that you really like . Everyone is different, I've tried variety of masks and settled on Activa LT nasal mask
The cushion quite flexible perfect for side side sleeping and vents extremely quiet

Post Reply Post Reply
I also sleep on my side but with the mask, I no longer can sleep on my stomach. I've settled on the F&P Eson. Once I got the adjustment right, I eliminated pretty much all leaking and nose soarness. I tried the Swift fx nano which is similar to the Wisp except less head gear and no over the head hose holder; I found with that extra length of hose it pulling the mask down and created leaks, to illuminate these leaks I had to tighten the straps really tight that the mask was touching the tip of my nose, also the hose was getting caught underneath me when I turned from side to side. I asked my provider to swap the Nano for a Wisp to try which he's more than happy to do, but warned me that many have returned the Wisp for various reasons. Therefore I'll be swapping for another Eson to have as a spare.

Remember that everyone's face is a little different and what works for one may not work for another, I feel lucky that I was able to find a mask that worked for me after only trying 3 different masks, some may have tried 10 masks before finding the one that works for them.

BTW, the 3 things I like about the Eson is my hose connects directly to the mask, the connection is a ball and socket joint which gives the hose complete freedom to move without binding and pulling the mask away from my face and most importantly it has a clip on diffuser for the exhaust port that tremendously reduces the air blowing on my spouse. With the other two masks I tried she could feel the exhaust air blowing on her which made it impossible to sleep on that side facing her.

Good luck and I hope you find the mask that works for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2013, 08:57 AM)markrb Wrote: I am going to be getting a new machine soon and I am looking for a mask for my needs.
I know a whole face mask is out for now.
So only a nasal mask, at least for now.

I sleep on my side but tend to switch side to side, both over and under.
I was thinking a mask that routes over the top of my head. So hopefully when I swap sides under it won't rap around my head.

Can the f&p pilairo be made to do this? I have read really good things about this unit.

Are there ones that can be made to so that when I swap sides, no matter how I do it, the tube will not wrap around me?

I was thinking about routing the tube through my headboard that has a single long slit in it. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I use the WISP and love it. I had the SWIFT nasal pillows and the Mirage FX and this smokes both of them. I use the fabric frame, loosely fit, and slip it on and off from the back without unclipping it. I'm a side sleeper and just adjust it from the front cushion and it seals well. THe headstrap has an opening to fit the mask hose thru. Works really well. VERY unobtrusive and has no forehead piece. ....Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I took the Wisp home and can't get it to stop leaking when it's loose enough to not put pressure on my sinus.

I am going back tomorrow to look into something else. I am thinking a straight nasal mask or whole face, even though I said I never would.
I am finding CPAP much easier to use than I thought it ever would be.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark,
The new TapPap will be your "wonder mask"! I LOVE IT.
There is NO headgear at all and the hose directs up over your head. The nasal pillows connect to a mouthpiece which you slip onto your upper teeth. Since your teeth don't move, neither do the pillows!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,216 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,328 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 624 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 318 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Recommendations for national suppliers? HenryBowman 2 388 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.