Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Removal during night.
Mask Removal during night.
As an "old guy" I have to remove mask and get up to use the facilities during the night. Does that count as a "large mask leak" on my Oscar chart? I just remove my mask leave my CPAP running and it shuts down in perhaps 15 seconds. I use Airfit N301 headgear, which I love.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Removal during night.
The machine does NOT know if you took it off or if it is a leak so yes when you take it off without turning the machine off it would be a large leak.

I just thought that if you have the auto start turned on, I DON’T know if a leak would be reported. Maybe someone can inform both of us.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Stacey for your rapid reply. I do have AutoStart turned on, so when I return to bed, I just put the mask on, breathe forcefully a couple of times and the machine resumes. Otherwise, I think the mask fit is fine. I am just trying to find if I can ignore the large leak items on my chart.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest turning off the PAP when you disconnect.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Dave. I'll consider relocating the machine, to a better location.
Post Reply Post Reply
My technique when turning off the machine is to hold my breath as I push the button to turn the machine off, and then continue to hold my breath as I quickly pull the mask off or quickly disconnect the hose.

It prevents that noisy blast of air that would annoy my husband!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good Idea. Used to be a snorer, but now, particularly with the AirFit mask, disruption to my wife is almost non-existent.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't used my CPAP machine now for a couple of months. But when I was using it, if I had to get up during the night to use the restroom, I just reached over to the machine and turned it off. I had my machine on a file cabinet alongside out bed that was the same height as the top of our mattress. 

When I returned to bed, I'd put my mask back on and start breathing, and the machine would come back on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't take my mask off to use the restroom, I just unplug the hose from the mask and plug it back in when I'm done. I leave the mask on. Auto start/stop is enabled on my machine. I haven't noticed it registering as a leak when I do that. There is a small gap in the time where I got up but it doesn't normally show a leak.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 240 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 319 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
Exclaimation Wisdom tooth removal causes sleep apnea? esaulcatnas 0 334 12-14-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Can't keep mask on all night emash124 4 575 09-19-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 625 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.