Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Seal and L/Min
Mask Seal and L/Min
Hi, if the threshold for normal leakage is 24L/Min, then why do I keep getting a smiley face, for mask seal, when I go over it.

I'm using a chinstrap but it seems to get loose with my tossing and turning during the night. I am a mouth breather but never liked the idea of a full mask.

I was just wandering whether the leakage over 24L/min is a big issue, and at what level should I really start to worry, considering my machine is giving me a smiley face for mask seal everyday.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Seal and L/Min
Ignore the smiley face. It's too forgiving.
The machine can maintain pressure up to 24 LPM.
Not included in that figure is the vent rate of the mask.

There may be some design margin built into the 24 LPM number; but, all bets are off as far as delivering proper therapy above the 24 LPM leak rate.

Most of us have short periods where we exceed 24. If ResScan is showing more than an occasional leak spike, you should troubleshoot the source of the leak. With your P10, the most common source of leak is from the mouth.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is very forgiving like all of our Resmed machines. You will have to go over 24 l/min for over 30% of the time to get a frowny face. Many of us on this board ar fairly hard line about the 24 l/min limit but I have seen Resmed articles that seemed to say that 30 l/min is OK.

I personally like to shoot for 0 l/min and achieved that fairly consistently for an extended period of time but something changed ( still using the same FFM and hoses and machine with no setting changes). Still have not figured out what changed but I am not beating myself up over it. Figured it must be aliens and let it go at that.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You will only get the red frowny face when you exceed the 24 L/min redline for about one third of your session time. The leakage number shown on the screen sleep report is the 95 percentile value - if your report period is set to 1 day. For example, today my leakage was reported as 28 L/min, and SleepyHead reported 16% of the session time was over redline - so: Happy Face.

The problem with excessive leakage is that the machine may fail to maintain pressure accurately, and/or the the total flow may exceed the range of the flow rate sensor. In either case your therapy and event recording are compromised.

Grin For extra credit, the interested student is invited to take their machine apart, identify the sensors, and find their spec sheets. Please report back, so I don't take mine apart...Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2016, 05:23 PM)pholynyk Wrote: The problem with excessive leakage is that the machine may fail to maintain pressure accurately, and/or the the total flow may exceed the range of the flow rate sensor. In either case your therapy and event recording are compromised.

I think the question is-at what leakage rate does that happen? If my memory is correct, the ability to consistently identify apneas is the first thing that becomes questionable and then if the leakage is way too high and you are using a high pressure the machine loses its ability to maintain the pressure when the total leak gets close to the capacity of the pump. You can see that when it can not maintain the set pressure.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
This is from last night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you are opening your mouth. Have you tried a chin strap?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2016, 05:30 AM)justMongo Wrote: Looks like you are opening your mouth. Have you tried a chin strap?

I have a chin strap but I think it gets itchy during the night and I may be scratching and it loosens up lol.

Last night was pretty good, it was only 8L/min so I'm going to try and get used to it and then buy a FFM if I need to.

Thanks to all that replied. Much appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New User - Mask Seal Error WJ5596 6 300 02-12-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: WJ5596
  F/P Vitera Mask seal problem bryank1 8 965 10-31-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  0/20 mask seal scores... please help! 1978 7 1,902 05-21-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,484 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] AirSense 10 Water Chamber INLET Seal lcfield 5 2,170 03-09-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: lcfield
  Experience about the the Evora FFM seal ? Albatros 3 804 03-04-2023, 08:24 AM
Last Post: nmwhitneyjr
  Trouble Getting Good Mask Seal Pole 5 846 03-01-2023, 02:16 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.