Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Seals and Alcohol
Mask Seals and Alcohol
I know I'm going to hear flack on this one . The day before Yesterday I put my son's FP flexi fit431 silicon mask seal that was used for about Two months and cleaned every morning with alcohol in a jar of 70% Isopropyl alcohol or plan old rubbing alcohol for 24 hours , then pulled it out and rinsed it well and dried it. There were no signs of deterioration , just a really clean mask seal. We tugged on it and stretched it to see if the silicon was weakened , It was not . Then compared it to the new seal he had installed on Sunday night, It felt the same as the new one , then changed out the seal and he used it last night . This morning after he got up we check the seal again , He thought is was as good as the new seal the night before . Things we did notice . 1 it was very clean . 2 the silicon felt like a new seal [ might be because all oils would have be removed ] 3 there was No deterioration what so ever !
Our conclusion was Alcohol does Not harm True silicon . We will continue to use alcohol to wipe our masks in the morning . Remember this is just my observation and experience with Silicon Not Rubber or Latex I'm sure they would not have survived after twenty four hours in alcohol . I know everyone is told never use Alcohol , So bring it on .. Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Seals and Alcohol
Alcohol is for drinking, not rubbing on masks! Licklips
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know, alcohol is safe with silicone. It's not safe with latex.

Yeah, just did some poking around with Google. The better the quality of silicone, the safe it is with alcohol. The smoother it is, the safer as well.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 11:27 PM)JWR Wrote: Our conclusion was Alcohol does Not harm True silicon . We will continue to use alcohol to wipe our masks in the morning .
Never touched the stuff in the morning but I wash the mask in the shower each morning Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 11:54 PM)zonk Wrote: Never touched the stuff in the morning but I wash the mask in the shower each morning Coffee

Actually Zonk showers with his mask on.Dielaughing

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JWR,
It will be interesting to see how you do over time. So far, it sounds like a workable experiment for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 08:53 AM)justMongo Wrote: Actually Zonk showers with his mask on.Dielaughing
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoU0qaGVZoTPSf18nri2i...yh7FoqRNNg]
some mothers do have them Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 11:34 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Alcohol is for drinking, not rubbing on masks! Licklips

And some of it is triple distilled as zonk mentioned, so we might consider using it in our humidifiers. Just think, there should not be anymore concern over germs in the humidifier. In fact maybe one could do away with cleaning the hose and the mask too.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 10:53 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(02-05-2014, 11:34 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Alcohol is for drinking, not rubbing on masks! Licklips

And some of it is triple distilled as zonk mentioned, so we might consider using it in our humidifiers. Just think, there should not be anymore concern over germs in the humidifier. In fact maybe one could do away with cleaning the hose and the mask too.

PaytonA

I like the way you think!
Post Reply Post Reply

Wow brings a whole new meaning to getting Fumes from the humidifier !Too-happy-2

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,637 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,318 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  EPR and Weight Loss Affecting Mask Seals? Snooks 0 537 05-11-2022, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Snooks
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,884 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE CPAPSC 2 776 03-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Alcohol IMPROVES my sleep apnea? hagrock 10 2,567 10-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Alcohol and Sleep dolppl 10 1,715 05-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.