Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Setting in ResMed AutoSense 10
Mask Setting in ResMed AutoSense 10
Greetings,

Just a curiosity - does changing the mask type in the ResMed settings (i.e., from Full Face to Pillows) actually change anything in the algorithms/response of the machine?

I had a "philosophical quandry" moment when deciding which to use for the F30i...I defaulted to Full Face and moved on, but I'm still curious...

Thanks,

Mikey
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Setting in ResMed AutoSense 10
The settings account for a greater volume in a full face mask as compared to pillows. Since the machine uses feedback from pressure sensors in the machine to sense respiration, leaks and events, it is basically remote sensing based on feedback in the circuit. It is like listening to a sound in an auditorium compared to a small room. I don't really know how the algorithm uses the mask setting, but I suspect the sensitivity or "gain" needs to be greater in a larger volume space, and it tolerates a larger leak rate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm interested in the effects of the mask setting to0. I am currently using a F&P Brevida pillow mask, and have the mask setting on Pillows. For one night, I put the mask settings on Full Face to see if I could detect any difference. When on Full Face, without any other settings changes, I felt I was getting less air than when set to Pillows. I also felt the leak rate was less when set on Full Face rather than Pillows.

That was just a one-night test. I would need more before I thought I had a trustworthy comparison.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used ResMed N20 masks for quite a while.

Someone here helpfully talked about this setting. They noted that the proper setting for the ResMed N20 is "pillows". I had mine set at "nasal" I changed it.
I haven't noticed a difference in comfort. I did this some time ago.

This setting was noted on the instruction sheet within the ResMed box. ResMed must consider it important or they wouldn't make a setting like this.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I read that the setting is to compensate for both the resistance and the volume of the mask. Lower airflow through the pillows on the mask setting would make sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fascinating!  These machines are pretty cool/sophisticated.

I'm wondering if the selection of mask type (if incorrect) would have any bearing on the machine's assessment of an 'event' be it OA, CA, H, or other?

The reason I'm asking is that in reading through some of the threads here on this forum, I've noticed that the mask settings that I see on their OSCAR screenshots don't match what mask the poster references in their narrative (I've seen this at least once - yeah, I know not a big population  Too-funny ).  Nonetheless, I wonder if an incorrect mask setting impacts AHI for better or worse...and if so, does it move the needle enough to be of concern.

@DaveL:  Thanks for noting that the settings are "listed in the instructions sheet in the Resmed box".  I went through my user manuals for each mask that I have and found the "recommended settings" in the technical specifications section.  I know now that "Full Face" is the correct setting for my F30i and F20 masks IAW the source (Resmed). At least that question is resolved - thanks.

I wonder how many people have the improper setting for the masks that they are using?  Perhaps an unanswerable question, but a curiosity anyway.

Mikey
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been wondering about the correct mask setting on the Airsense 10. I use a Dreamwear nasal cushion (not the pillows). My starting pressure is 4; ramp time is "auto" and pressure range is 8-14, with an  average of 9.8. Leakage is consistently <1; EPR is 3 and fulltime. My weekly AHI averages are  between 2.5 and 1.4, so I am pretty satisfied with the way things are going. I would like some advice about masking setting though. For at least 5 months it has been set at "nasal". My question: Should I leave well-enough alone, or change the setting to "pillows"?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SingingWolf  -  Welcome
Everything I can find lists this mask as a Nasal Pillow. If this is the case, then your setting should be set to "Pillows". A nasal mask looks like a downsized Full Face Mask and only covers the nose. A Pillow mask rests under the nose, leaving the rest of the nose exposed to the atmosphere.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Resmed F30i Mask ditron1 3 110 Yesterday, 11:33 AM
Last Post: cps22
  N30i [what mask setting] Airsense 10 AutoSet Topdogg7505 8 3,236 04-20-2024, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ahfairley
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 11 17,246 04-20-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 170 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 337 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Trigger Setting Switch - Aircurve 10 MrIvanDrago 4 171 04-09-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CPAP to ASV setting translation? Moemah123 2 529 04-03-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Yujiyun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.